cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do clients usually take to pay?

Highlighted
Lewis W Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
1 of 37

Hi guys, may I ask how long your clients usually take to pay for fixed fee projects?

I've completed two jobs this week but am getting a little nervous over a lack of engagement since submitting both articles especially since neither of them are payment veriried.

Your help is greaty appreciated.

Regards,

Lewis

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 37

Lewis,

Were you officially hired? Do the two jobs show up under "My Job"? If so, it sounds like you started working without ensuring your client's payment method was verified.

You should not start any work or send any files until payment has been verified,  escrow funded for fixed price, and time tracker used for hourly.

I suggest you read up on how to use Upwork, and work safely before bidding on any more projects:  https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Highlighted
3 of 37

Unfortunately both jobs were offered via messages but I do not have anything under "my jobs" - naive I'm sure but my enthusiasm to crack on with work got the better of me Smiley Sad 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 37

Then you won't get paid.

As I suggested, click on the link and read up before any more bidding. Online freelancing is not just about having a skill.

ETA: A mod may come along and suggest contacting those clients (if they weren't scammers) about setting up and paying the contracts after the fact … not sure how that works.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 37

Whoops!

You worked for free.

But this is a good thing, as this experience will help focus your mind.

Just don't do it again!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 37

BTW, your profile picture must be a real picture of you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 37

@Lewis W wrote:

Hi guys, may I ask how long your clients usually take to pay for fixed fee projects?

I've completed two jobs this week but am getting a little nervous over a lack of engagement since submitting both articles especially since neither of them are payment veriried.

Your help is greaty appreciated.

Regards,

Lewis

Yet another newbie has jumped right in here without taking the time to learn how this site works and what to look out for. And because of that, You won't get paid, You did not have an active job, the clients account wasn't verified and the client didn't fully fund ... actually didn't fund escrow at all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 37

I don't blame the newbies alone for this.

The newbies share the blame with Upwork.

This kind of thing happens so often that it is obvious Upork has a messaging problem. There is nothing put in place tha helps ensure newbies understand basic concepts such as setting up a contract before working.

Highlighted
9 of 37
What do you mean Mary?
It is a real picture of me!

Sorry Kathy - as I said I was very keen to start building a reputation and take on work. Now I have learned to never start a job until the job has been officially awarded and there is a prepaid milestone in place.
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 37

Lewis: I don't know why Mary thought this was a photo of somebody else.

It's a bad photo to select to show on your profile page. But I see no reason to think that it is a photo of somebody other than yourself.

This is a photo that would be appropriate to send to your grandmother when you graduate. Yay! I graduated from high school! Go Panthers!

This is not the photo of a professional freelancer who I will hire to do work for my business.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS