🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How long does it take to get assignments?
Page options
moodleyjothie
Community Member

How long does it take to get assignments?

Hi Everyone!

I signed up yesterday and submitted 6 proposals. I realize that for most of them I didn't have the number of assignments or earnings required but felt that since my experience in that field was vast and at expert level I would have got some positive feedback/interest. Would appreciate it if a seasoned freelancer could look at my profile and provide me with feedback. Am I being impatient? Should I submit for entry level positions? Any advice will help.

Regards
Jothie
3 REPLIES 3
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Longer than an afternoon. This is a long game. I arrived having fed myself freelancing for over 20 years and it took me a month (about carefully targeted proposals) to land my first contract and another month (30 more) to land my second. Then, at least six months (submitting up to 30 proposals/month to the best-fit projects I could find) to feel like I was beginning to get some traction.

Your profile: The first few lines are all someone sees unless you grab their attention right there. Don't waste that real estate on information that's available elsewhere, e.g. your name, items from your background. The first thing they care about is what you can do for them that they need. They don't care who you are or where you come from unless/until they see you as a potential resource.

Search for freelancers with credentials comparable to yours who are doing the kind of work you want to do, and study their profiles and rates.

If you are an expert, don't take on beginner projects to get started. Stick to assignments that are commensurate with your skills and experience BUT you may want to start with a slightly lower rate than you want to wind up with. That encourages clients who recognize and demand quality to take a chance on you before you have an UW track record. Not too low or you'll attract bottom feeders.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback and take heed.

Jothie
NadaN
Staff
Staff

Hi Jothie,

Great job of starting to submit proposals! On average, it takes more than 5 proposals for each won opportunity. This average varies widely based upon a number of factors and tends to decrease as talent earns experience (both because the experience is showcased and because you learn over time which projects to pick and which approaches work best). The first job is usually the hardest to get. After that, your profile starts to do the heavy lifting. 

Speaking of your profile, here's how you can help Clients showcase your skills and expertise:

• I notice you still don’t have a portfolio. Many freelancers think that their portfolio items must come from Upwork clients - this isn’t true! Your portfolio items can be from other clients, class projects, or personal projects that demonstrate your skills. Consider adding a few relevant pieces to get more profile views and high-quality work invites. Since the type of work you deliver is process-based instead of visual, consider adding items to your portfolio using the Case Study template. This template is designed for you to show off the analysis, process, or methodology you used in the project. Include relevant information about the challenge, your approach, project goals, and screenshots if possible. That way, you can show the Client how you contributed to the past projects and the solutions implemented.

• Or, I suggest that you request and post testimonials from your previous work experience/clients to showcase your skills and abilities to attract attention to your profile. It is a great way to vouch for your background and shows clients that you are reliable and experienced. Then, in your proposal, you can direct the client to testimonials for similar projects you’ve completed. This will help instill trust in your work while you build your Upwork history.

• Also, add relevant detail to your employment history where missing to help prospective clients understand your background. Some types of information you could include here are information about your duties, if you worked independently or with a team, and/or major accomplishments.

• I notice your availability is set to “As Needed”. Because different independent professionals use this availability setting to communicate different things (some mean their workload is varying, some mean that they are booked - but will consider very attractive offers) it may be a detractor to receiving relevant invites. It might be helpful to instead use the “Less than 30” or “More than 30” option - depending upon which is closest to your current projected availability.

• Lastly, consider adding a video introduction. A video profile can be a great way to differentiate yourself from the competition, some use it to show their work while some simply introduce themselves. Here’s more info on adding a video profile.

Additionally, here's a great resource to help you create a winning proposal. 

Let us know if you need more help!

Nadja

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths