🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How long to wait for the hire?
Page options
ms_coffey
Community Member

How long to wait for the hire?

I’m new to Upwork so I’m looking for some realistic perspective to see if this behavior is normal...

I submitted a proposal on the 1st, I got a response right away. This potential client has never hired anyone but they only have ever submitted for 2 jobs, this one and another.

He responded very quickly and has been communicative but I have asked him to officially hire me 3 or 4 times now and it starting to feel like he is just kicking tires and goal posting me.

I asked him when will I be hired, his response was “when I know you’re dedicated.” Ok.. I said well I know I am, what can I do to show I am? He says fine draw me a sketch of a girl with a sword. So I do this and I do it more than a simple sketch to show, ok I’m willing to do the work and willing to be responsive and take direction.

All he responded was that it was very good.

Still no idea on if he is actually going to officially hire me. It’s now the 9th.

So for almost 2 weeks I have back and forth with this guy trying to close a deal that’s only $300 for a 24 page comic book.

Is this typical? Intuitively I feel if a client is serious the client would hire somewhat quickly. Maybe I’m wrong. Is this typical?

Additionally, what are some red flags that someone is just kicking tires and not going to actually hire you VS what’s some green flags that say the person is genuinely interested.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kendra C wrote:
I asked him when will I be hired, his response was “when I know you’re dedicated.” Ok.. I said well I know I am, what can I do to show I am? He says fine draw me a sketch of a girl with a sword. So I do this and I do it more than a simple sketch to show, ok I’m willing to do the work and willing to be responsive and take direction..

It's a timewaster who is breaking the terms of service by asking you for free work. 

To be honest, I would not work with that client even if he offered a contract, he has PITA written all over himself....

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Kendra C wrote:
I asked him when will I be hired, his response was “when I know you’re dedicated.” Ok.. I said well I know I am, what can I do to show I am? He says fine draw me a sketch of a girl with a sword. So I do this and I do it more than a simple sketch to show, ok I’m willing to do the work and willing to be responsive and take direction..

It's a timewaster who is breaking the terms of service by asking you for free work. 

To be honest, I would not work with that client even if he offered a contract, he has PITA written all over himself....

Kendra:
I'm sorry you had to experience this. But dealing with this type of "client" is something that every freelancer needs to learn how to do eventually.

The main way to "deal" with potential time-wasters is to be polite but firm in not agreeing to work for them without getting paid. As the freelancer, you need to be the one to tell them:

"Yes, I would be happy to do that sketch for you. I can do that as soon as an hourly contract is in place."

You asked if this type of behavior is "tyipcal" on the part of clients. I would say it is not "typical," but it is something that freelancers encounter. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if - in your particular niche - you encounter these "tire-kicker" clients 5% of the time or 50% of the time. You need to be the one who handles the situation in a consistent and professional way.

I don't think it's okay for clients to waste a freelancer's time like this.

IT DOES NOT MATTER if a client is going to work with you for a long time or a short time. Clients should compensate you for your time.

I have had many, many clients who would hardly talk to me at all before they wanted to have a contract in place. That's a GOOD THING. The point of the "interview" is to just make sure that the freelancer can do the job. When I work with clients, they WANT TO HIRE ME before we start discussing the details of their job. They know that it is the right thing to do to PAY me for my time, whether that is time spent in actually doing the work, or time spent DISCUSSING the work.

If a client is THINKING about having you work on a comic book project with them, then the client SHOULD hire you before having you do sketches or layouts or character design or planning meetings, etc. That is what a respectful, professional client should do.

It's good to know this is not something he should have asked for even if it was put under the guise of testing me. I understand there is an interview, but 2 weeks seems like a time-waster. I feel I almost earned in time the $300 just trying to jump through hoops.

It lets me understand where I should draw lines in the future. I admit fully I have a problem with letting people break boundaries, so this is why I asked. I am too reasonable, too giving, and too understanding and end up being taken advantage of frequently in my professional life and it is something I am trying to actively work on improving.

re: "I understand there is an interview, but 2 weeks seems like a time-waster."

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. Many of these were artists. Many of these were artists that I hired specifically to do comic book illustration.

The amount of time I typically spend interviewing freelancers is zero minutes and zero seconds.

I look at freelancers' portfolios. If I like their work, I hire them.

avirockx007
Community Member

Hi Kendra,

I can feel the anxiety level or should I say a level where every one of us wants to be hired. I have been there myself. Whenever you sent a proposal & luckily you get a shot of an interview with a client that means the client wants to know more about what can you bring to him/her. He can ask you for something like a trail to see if you are successful or to check you could produce something which he/she is looking for. If let's suppose the client is not responding or attending to your messages then I'll suggest he is not seeing the result which he wants for his project from you. It is up to his will if he likes to hire you or not. This is something that I will say DEPEND on your client. 

For you my ADVISE is, leave the client who is not responding to you. Start looking for more  Projects. Upwork is a great platform to show your skills. Literally, I was a noob on this platform. I have learned a lot from here. You won't be a professional unless you see ups & downs in your life. There are no short-cuts on these platforms. YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOURSELF THAT YOU ARE BETTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE.

I hope it helps you... 🙂

Thanks 

Awais N.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths