cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much patience should I have? (1st job).

Highlighted
Alfredo M Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
1 of 9

I am a translator. I have been working as a translator both in companies and freelancing. I have even led a project for a huge company who needed international certificates (and they've got them). 

I have joined upwork because there are amazing opportunities each day, also, the interface is very beautiful and friendly. I don't have even a week here, but still it's starting to get frustrating. My profile is 100% completed, I uploaded some samples to my portfolio (since most of my work is highly confidential), I took the test and ended in the top 10%, I added my experience, I wrote a very honest overview. I have been sending proposals to jobs adequated for me, and every single proposal has been personal and detailed. I even received a Rising Talent badge. I know that I am not getting hired because I don't have feedbacks, but what can I do with that?

I don't know what else can I do and I am starting to think this is just a waste of time, how many patience should I have before leaving it for good? How much did you spend sending proposals before getting hired?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 9

It takes time. I have more than 20 years in my field and a unique combination of skills/experience for what I do, and I would say that it was somewhere between 3 and 6 weeks before I got my first job and at least a couple of months before the work got steady.

There is a lot of competition in your category and some of your competitors have years of Upwork experience/feedback, so it may take a little time to break in. Whatever you do, do not attempt to do that by lowering your rates. Just keep submitting, only for the projects really best suited to you and not any one that you would be able to successfully complete, and keep working other options at the same time.

Highlighted
Mashal K Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
3 of 9

When I started my journey on Upwork, I gave up really soon and thought this thing doesn't work. But when my sister got her first job, I was amazed. I thought it really does work and that you can get a job on this platform. 

So what I did was I worked on my profile but trust me it wasn't as good as you are mentioning yours is at this stage. I used to also personalize all my proposals and apply to almost every job I would find fit for myself. But what got me to where I am today is a little dedication and some time, infact a little more than that lol.

One thing I will have to say is that by lowering your rate than your competitors will give you an edge if everything else seems perfect on your profile. Because where someone with the same rate has more work experience and good feedback on Upwork than me, obviously he or she will be preferred over me. I am not saying that one should have it that way forever but it can get you started. And once you land that first job, consider your journey has started.

Now I don't even have to apply to any more jobs, I get invitations to interview every other week based on the profile I have maintained on Upwork, and I love that feeling. Best of luck. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Carly L Member Since: Nov 21, 2016
4 of 9

You literally have a mistake in the first line of your profile. 

There is a mistake in the first sentence of your second paragraph, and the sentence after it doesn't make sense in English.

In your post here, I found ten mistakes. 

I think you've either accidentally overestimated, or intentionally overstated, your English language skills.  Your langauge skills are certainly not at the "native or bilingual" level.

Probably, there are similar mistakes in the proposals that you send.  You're competing against other people who make fewer mistakes... or no mistakes at all! 

So when it comes to your question about how much patience to have, I would recommend that you have LOTS of patience.  Why?  Because you're competing against people who are more qualified and more capable. 

Highlighted
5 of 9
Thank you. How many of them are order mistakes?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Carly L Member Since: Nov 21, 2016
6 of 9

Sorry, I am able to offer suggestions but I can't provide free proofreading services or language lessons.  Good luck!

Highlighted
7 of 9
I never asked for that Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

Alfredo: Good luck.

Highlighted
9 of 9