🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How's my profile? Any suggestions?
Page options
ulauma
Community Member

How's my profile? Any suggestions?

Hey folks,

I'm looking to improve my profile to help with proposals and gaining more work. I'm also following other guides, etc on improving my overall effectiveness within UpWork. If you have any guides or pointers, it would be greatly appreciated! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

I would retake a profile picture that looks more professional and less like a Tinder pic. Also, your overview is pretty generic. You need to state what's unique to you that sets you apart. If anyone else's name can be put on your profile and it all still holds true, then it's not unique enough to you.

Also, remove that thing about wanting to work with honest, reliable clients. It's judgmental and offputting. 

You're doing pretty well so far. Some tweaks will help you go further. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your message. I reviewed your profile and you're off to a good start. I do have some suggestions:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals. For example, expand on who you are, the services you offer, and what you’re most passionate about.
  • I noticed you don’t have anything listed in your Education section. Do you have relevant education experience you could detail here?
  • I notice your availability is set to “As Needed”. Because different freelancers use this availability setting to communicate different things (some mean their workload is varying, some mean that they are booked - but will consider very attractive offers) it may be a detractor to receiving relevant invites. It might be helpful to instead use the “Less than 30” or “More than 30” option - depending upon which is closest to your current projected availability.

Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike
ulauma
Community Member

Hi there!

I just wanted to thank you for assisting in helping me fix up my profile. I've overhauled my profile and streamlined my proposal proccess, already picked up 5 jobs in the last three days with multiple more interviews leading to! 

I really appreciate it, I realized some things were misformatted/worded and were offputting to potential clients. Thanks again. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

I would retake a profile picture that looks more professional and less like a Tinder pic. Also, your overview is pretty generic. You need to state what's unique to you that sets you apart. If anyone else's name can be put on your profile and it all still holds true, then it's not unique enough to you.

Also, remove that thing about wanting to work with honest, reliable clients. It's judgmental and offputting. 

You're doing pretty well so far. Some tweaks will help you go further. 

ulauma
Community Member

Thanks Amanda!

I appreciate the advice. That picture was definitely terrible! Fixed that up and specialized my profile a bit more and already picked up 5 jobs this week with several more in the pipe for hiring. Thank you very much!

I really appreciate your guidance. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths