🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How safe is it to share accounting informatio...
Page options
74b68927
Community Member

How safe is it to share accounting information

Hello, can anyone tell me how safe it is to share accounting info with freelancers?  I am seeking a bookkeeper for my consulting business and just looking to see if there are any safety measures in place.   I will check reviews to ensure good ratings and numerous clients, but not sure if there is a significant risk.

Thanks very much

DT

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David, 

I have no experience with bookkeeping softwares, so I'm not sure how accounting information is managed when hiring a freelancer to manage your finances for you. 

I would assume that there are permissions involved on accounting/bookkeeping softwares when adding another user or a team member. Generally, I would recommend never to share passwords and other sensitive information with other users, (online banking information passwords, emails, and other personal accounts). It would also be best if you can hire a freelancer that has an established work history on Upwork. 

I don't know if that helped (hopefully it did). If you need help shortlisting freelancers for your project, you can let us know and we'll be happy to connect you with our Talent Solutions Team. 

~ Avery
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "just looking to see if there are any safety measures in place"

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "safety measures." Upwork can not "guarantee" that a freelancer you hire will be honest and that your data will be safe, any more than any other platform or hiring agency can offer such a guarantee.

The biggest factor in your favor is that the overwhelming majority of Upwork freelancers are honest, ethical freelancers who are only here on the site to earn money by doing good work for clients.

As you already mentioned: Reading reviews and ratings is a good guide to finding freelancers you can trust.

Thousands of clients hire freelancers and provide them with sensitive information every day on Upwork. I am regularly provided with key financial data, passwords, server access, etc. by clients. Of course I would never use any of this information inappropriately.

re: "not sure if there is a significant risk."

I think the risk is small. But that is not the same thing as the risk being zero. Similarly, if you hired an accounting firm located down the street from you, or if you hired your cousin, I think the risk would be small. But not zero.

1b9e9eac
Community Member

Hi David, how was your experience with this? I'm having the same doubt. I don't feel comfortable sending my bank statements to someone I have never met before. H 

6fcd8b9c
Community Member

Also interested in this! Seeking to hire a freelancer but it would require me to provide them with bank details. 

Hi Juliette,

Are you referring that a freelancer is requesting your bank details to complete a job? Would you mind sharing more information about your specific case so we can better assist you?

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6fcd8b9c
Community Member

Hi Luiggi 

I haven't posted the job yet and nobody has requested them, but I am looking for someone to help me reconcile transactions from my bank account to Xero, and help me link my future transactions. So I was thinking that they would need access to my account, would you agree or is there another way? 

Thanks, Juliette

6fcd8b9c
Community Member

Hi Luiggi 

I haven't posted the job yet and nobody has requested them, but I am looking for someone to help me reconcile transactions from my bank account to Xero, and help me link my future transactions. So I was thinking that they would need access to my account, would you agree or is there another way? 

Hi Juliette,

Thank you for your message. I would not recommend sharing any banking login credentials or other important accounting information with other users. You may want to check with your freelancers on the requirements and possibilities to complete the job without having access to critical banking information. Also, you have an option to hire a freelancer that has an established work history on Upwork so that your banking transactions are handled with complete security. 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths