cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get Paid

Highlighted
Helen V Member Since: Oct 12, 2017
1 of 6

I just completed my first freelance job on Upwork. Now my client wants to know how to pay me. I cannot seem to log my two hours. Apparently the client did not set up a contract? How can I advise her to do that so I can log my time.

My apologies if this has been asked before. The client is waiting to hear from me. Thanks so much, community, for any help you can provide.

Helen

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

You should never ever do any work without a contract.

The client needs to actually hire you, then pay you. The quickest and easiest way to do it is to hire you on a fixed rate contract, fund the agreed sum as one milestone, and immediately release that milestone.

Hire Now.jpg

That's assuming the client actually has a verified payment method already.... If the client does not, they have to set up and verify their payment method first.

Before you do anything else on the platform, please read all of this, including every single link, in full.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Steven Z Member Since: Jul 7, 2018
3 of 6

Hello !

Is that always the same method to get paid because my client said we do not need upwork contract ? 

So please can you reply to me as faster as you can ? 

Thank you for your attention

Steven

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

Steven: there is no way to get paid without a contract.

If you get paid without a contract, that is grounds for having your account terminated.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
5 of 6

Hi Steven,

Offering and receiving payments outside of Upwork will be considered a violation of Upwork ToS. Please do not work on any project until a client has sent you an offer, you have accepted it, it's showing on your My Jobs page as an active contract, and the client's payment method is verified. Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. You can report a client either by clicking on the cog wheel next to their messages and reporting it as inappropriate or by flagging their job posting. The team reviews all reports against Upwork ToS and takes actions as needed. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Helen V Member Since: Oct 12, 2017
6 of 6

Thank you, Guru! You have been a great help. Helen