🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to add working time from previous days?
Page options
f_marcque_vieira
Community Member

How to add working time from previous days?

Hello,

I am new on this system and I think I made a mistake... I didn't really know the purpose of Upwork and didn't know it was counting the time (I only thought it was a contract website, I didn't receive all the explanations by my client). Anyway, I worked few hours last week for my client, I have all the proofs of work, but I didn't switch the time counter, my question is how can I add time manually for hours worked last week?

Should I just turn on the switch at random hours for the same amount of time and explain to my client why I did that? I already told him about the situation.

Thanks for your answers.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Fabien:

By going to your work diary page, it is easy to navigate to any previous day.

It is easy to add time to any day during the current work week.

But you can NOT add time to a previous week.

Upwork freelancers log their time automatically using the time-tracker app, or they log their time manually immediately after doing the work.

This lets us avoid any problems.

If you worked LAST WEEK, then you have these choices:

- eat the loss; you made a mistake; you won't be paid

- explain to your client what happened and ask your client if it would be all right to add that manual time to this week's work diary

- explain to your client that you made a mistake by not logging that time and ask the client to pay you using the pay bonus feature

Do NOT try to use the Upwork time-tracker to record time while not actually working.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Fabien:

By going to your work diary page, it is easy to navigate to any previous day.

It is easy to add time to any day during the current work week.

But you can NOT add time to a previous week.

Upwork freelancers log their time automatically using the time-tracker app, or they log their time manually immediately after doing the work.

This lets us avoid any problems.

If you worked LAST WEEK, then you have these choices:

- eat the loss; you made a mistake; you won't be paid

- explain to your client what happened and ask your client if it would be all right to add that manual time to this week's work diary

- explain to your client that you made a mistake by not logging that time and ask the client to pay you using the pay bonus feature

Do NOT try to use the Upwork time-tracker to record time while not actually working.

Thank you Preston for your answer, I will follow your advices.

My client is already aware of the problem, so it should be failry easy to solve this issue.

At least I know how the system works now!

1st attempt: Failed!

2nd attempt: in progress...

Thank you and have a good day.

Fabien

petra_r
Community Member

It is always a good idea to find out how something works before jumping in blindly.

First - go to your "My Jobs" page and ascertain whether you have an hourly or a fixed rate job.

Click on the contract and find out the terms. Is manual time allowed? What is the weekly limit?

You can't add any time to last week - because that window closes Monday at noon UTC.

Then contact your client and explain what you've done and ask if you may add the hours manually this week. If the client says Yes, add them to this week. If the client says "No" - tough luck.

In future track your time properly with the tracker if you want protection and spend some time working out how everything works or you WILL fall flat on your face... 😉

@Petra R wrote:

It is always a good idea to find out how something works before jumping in blindly.

Exactly Petra, that's precisely what's he's doing.

re: "Should I just turn on the switch at random hours for the same amount of time and explain to my client why I did that? I already told him about the situation."

Just a quick FYI:

Turning on the time-tracker while not actually working will not accomplish anything. The time-tracker automatically checks for user activity. If there is no activity, then the time-tracker does not record any time.

Also, the time-tracker takes screenshots.

So if there IS activity, but it is just you doing something else, not related to the project, then the client will see that. The client doesn't want to see screenshots of time he is being billed for, but those screenshots show on Facebook or working on somebody else's project.

017e7c6b
Community Member

I'm sorry but "- eat the loss; you made a mistake; you won't be paid" - that's just rude.  No one should be eating the cost.  Upwork's notifications and communications have been lacking IMO. I will not use it again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths