🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to chat with freelancer without posting o...
Page options
bc6ad335
Community Member

How to chat with freelancer without posting or creating a job?

I would like to know how to chat with potential freelancers without the need of creating and posting job? Call it a pre-screening of candiates.

If this feature already exists please advise.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@David C wrote:

I am trying to sound of ideas to those who know more

This would actually be a job, called consulting. Freelancers are people who have to make their own income. They usually work long hours, and they love it. It may sound funny to people who don't know about freelancing, but freelancers can't afford to spend a lot of time discussing with people about their needs, when these people may never turn into a paying client. And a freelancer desperately needs paying clients.

There is plenty of information and forums available online for free and there are also plenty of experts on Upwork that are happy to help people out, providing that it's not for free.

Once you have a specific set of questions, you can go ahead and post a job and find somebody who can work with you as a consultant. They will be fully available for you and totally glad to help.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

David:

Such functionality does not currently exist.

But Upwork employees and moderators actively monitor discussions in the Community Forum. This IS the ideal place to discuss such functionality ... Why you would like it, how it would be helpful to you as a client.

Upwork has in the past implemented many ideas that were discussed in the Forum.

@Preston H wrote:

David:

Such functionality does not currently exist.

.. Why you would like it, how it would be helpful to you as a client.

Upwork has in the past implemented many ideas that were discussed in the Forum.

I wouldn't welcome that. It is one thing to wade through many invites to stuff where I can clearly see what the client wants and whether I am interested or not. The last thing I need is fuzzy approaches which require me to spend time (which is money) to discuss some vague concept that doesn't allow me to gauge whether I'd be interested or not.

I can't say anything for certain about what we'll see in the future.

The one thing I can say for certain is that for right now, if you want to talk to freelancers, you need to post a job posting.

Posting a job posting DOES NOT COMMIT you to anything. You don't need to hire anybody if you don't find the right person for the project.

Think of posting the job posting as the beginning of a conversation.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@David C wrote:

I would like to know how to chat with potential freelancers without the need of creating and posting job? Call it a pre-screening of candiates.

If this feature already exists please advise.

Currently you can invite freelancers for an interview. Yes, I assume you have to create a job posting first, but, what do you want to chat with the freelancer about if it is unrelated to a job posting?

May I ask what for? If it's unrelated to job .... 

It is related to finding Freelancers. Presently, I feel obligated to post a job where at times I am trying to sound of ideas to those who know more i.e. the Freelancer so as to flesh out or develop a working brief/job. Such discussion may lead to redefining my initial brief but by then you will be locked in with the Freelancer or having the need to cancel the job and to re-post anew.

Hope this make some sense. In any case, no big deal if this feature does not exists.

Regards

David 

@David C wrote:

It is related to finding Freelancers. Presently, I feel obligated to post a job where at times I am trying to sound of ideas to those who know more i.e. the Freelancer so as to flesh out or develop a working brief/job. Such discussion may lead to redefining my initial brief but by then you will be locked in with the Freelancer or having the need to cancel the job and to re-post anew.

Hope this make some sense. In any case, no big deal if this feature does not exists.

Regards

David 

You are able to discuss with the freelancer any changes to an ongoing job at any time during your cooperation. No need to repost the job posting at all. 

Also, many freelancers will be willing to discuss your ideas, be a sounding board, or help you in any other way to get your project done. Most likely, though, they will want to be paid for their time when doing that, because, well, this is their business. 

@David C wrote:

I am trying to sound of ideas to those who know more

This would actually be a job, called consulting. Freelancers are people who have to make their own income. They usually work long hours, and they love it. It may sound funny to people who don't know about freelancing, but freelancers can't afford to spend a lot of time discussing with people about their needs, when these people may never turn into a paying client. And a freelancer desperately needs paying clients.

There is plenty of information and forums available online for free and there are also plenty of experts on Upwork that are happy to help people out, providing that it's not for free.

Once you have a specific set of questions, you can go ahead and post a job and find somebody who can work with you as a consultant. They will be fully available for you and totally glad to help.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths