🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to get Client contact details in case...
Page options
madernaswati
Community Member

How to get Client contact details in case of Fraud

Hi All,

I have taken one job from Client but it seems to Fraud, as after 4 months,  i have received a letter from Lawyer why i receive the amount in my bank account, since i dont see the Client contact detail and nither he is responding, so how to get the detail from Upwork.

Thanks 

Swati

5 REPLIES 5
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Swati,

Please note that users are not allowed to offer or accept direct payments outside Upwork, our team will follow up with you directly to reiterate Upwork ToS.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Swati: Upwork does not provide client contact details.

There are no legitimate reasons for Upwork to do so. Upwork provides all the tools and protocols necessary within its framework. 

@Preston H wrote:

Swati: Upwork does not provide client contact details.

There are no legitimate reasons for Upwork to do so. Upwork provides all the tools and protocols necessary within its framework. 

But, on the flipside Upwork will give all the details about you.  All the tools and protocols go out of the window.

@Preston H wrote:

1) Swati: Upwork does not provide client contact details.

2) There are no legitimate reasons for Upwork to do so.

1) Since when?

2) Of course there are.

re: "Of course there are."

Petra:
I think the question you pose is a fair one and worth discussion.

I will offer my personal opinion, which may or may not coincide in any way with what Upwork actually thinks:

As someone who uses Upwork primarily as a freelancer and occasionally as a client (I have hired over 70 freelancers), my preference would be for Upwork to not share client contact information with freelancers, as a matter of strict policy.

I think it is their general policy. You apparently think that is not so, or perhaps you think they make exceptions. You may well be right.

I can not think of any reason why I would want Upwork to share client contact information with freelancers simply because the freelancers ask (or beg) them to do so. If there are court orders or something, I have no problem with Upwork complying with such orders.

My general idea is that if I (as a client) want to communicate with freelancers, I can do so through Upwork. I can also do so freely using other means, of my choosing. But I don't want freelancers to be able to get my phone number or email address or home address, etc. by asking Upwork for it. From my own personal experience, and from reading the Forum, I know that a tiny minority of freelancers become pests and try to contact clients to ask for more work or simply to ask for money for their sick aunt or whatnot.

If there ARE indeed legitimate reasons for Upwork to share client contact information directly with freelancers, without the client's consent or knowlege, then I hope people who can think of reasons will feel free to explain those reasons here in this thread.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths