🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to get First Job? Please tell me?
Page options
padmasingh42161
Community Member

How to get First Job? Please tell me?

How to get First Job on upwork. I'm very depressed because till now I'm not getting any job on upwork. So please tell me anyone how I get my first job. What to do for getting first job on upwork.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Padmasingh A wrote:
How to get First Job on upwork. I'm very depressed because till now I'm not getting any job on upwork. So please tell me anyone how I get my first job. What to do for getting first job on upwork.

That is not an easy question to answer because the answer is different for everyone. I take it you have done your homework, have studied the help section thoroughly and come here as a last resort.

So my question to you: what do you think it is? (Note: I want you to reflect on your marketing strategy, and telling me you are a newbie that has no jobs and therefore doesn't get any is not an acceptable answer.)  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Padmasingh A wrote:

That is not an easy question to answer because the answer is different for everyone. I take it you have done your homework, have studied the help section thoroughly and come here as a last resort.

So my question to you: what do you think it is? (Note: I want you to reflect on your marketing strategy, and telling me you are a newbie that has no jobs and therefore doesn't get any is not an acceptable answer.)  

alexisscholtz
Community Member

Hi Padmasingh, I'm also quite new to upwork, but through these threads and some of my own research, I feel that I'm starting to get the hang of things and getting work. I had a look at your profile, and a few things stood out to me. The first, and please don't take offense at this, was that your English grammar wasn't amazing. It wasn't bad, and I think everyone, even clients, will be understanding of the fact that English isn't your first language, however if the language you're using isn't getting the information you want across, then I think it's worth spending some more time on it. 

The second thing is that your profile introduction comes off as a little repetitive.

And then I saw that on your profile there are two tests that you took that show as "below average". I would hide these if I were you, because the tests (I think) are meant to show clients what skills you're good at. You can always take the tests again later, and show them on your profile when you get better results.

The last thing, which I learned the hard way, is don't give up. It took me two weeks to get my first job, even though I knew that I would do a good job on all of the contracts that I applied for. And it felt frustrating. But then I got a job, and recently I got a second, bigger one, and I'm convinced that if I keep going things will pick up. And I think the same applies for everyone that's starting on Upwork. Change and make things better on your profile as you go along, read tips on how to write good proposals and cover letters, and just don't give up.   

prestonhunter
Community Member

Padmasingh:

Read this:

How to Get First Job

Preston, I'd give you at least 100 kudos for this if I could.  As I so often do here, I'm just shaking my head. 

Padmasingh, I just took a very quick look at your Profile.  English-"Native or Bilingual"-I don't think so.

Also, regarding Tests-why did you take a Call Center Skill Test when that's not your field and/or what you're wanting to do?  Regardless, your results were "Below Average" as also on the English Spelling Test.  Any Below Average test results can be detrimental as to how potential Clients view Freelancers. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths