🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to get back connects
Page options
anand_soni
Community Member

How to get back connects

Hi There,

I have used my connects for proposal. Now there are few job applications which are old or client is not responding to that applications. I withdraw those applications. Now I am expecting to have my connects back as I have withdrawn my applcations from that job application. But I didn't get it back. 

Can  I know the process of how to get back the connects ?

Thank you,

Anand Soni

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Anand S wrote: Now I am expecting to have my connects back as I have withdrawn my applcations from that job application. But I didn't get it back.

That is because you never get the connects back when you withdraw your proposals, only if the jobs are cancelled without hire by the client or Upwork.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
petra_r
Community Member

Anand S wrote: Now I am expecting to have my connects back as I have withdrawn my applcations from that job application. But I didn't get it back.

That is because you never get the connects back when you withdraw your proposals, only if the jobs are cancelled without hire by the client or Upwork.

If client doesn't hire for a long time for example post remains there for a month without hiring anyone then?

Hi Soban,

I can confirm that connects are only returned when the job is cancelled by the client or Upwork team without a hire.

While some clients take time to hire on their jobs and often come back to review candidates weeks after they posted a job, postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed.

~Nina

Hi,

Are the connects returned when the post is closed after 30 days?

Thank you.

Marisa D wrote:

Hi,

Are the connects returned when the post is closed after 30 days?

Thank you.

no

I have question,

What if the client posted a job, then they didn't hire anyone or even interview for 30 days and eventually the job has been closed. is my upwork connect will back?

NK,

"postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed."

That is a very, very ambitious and hopeful claim.

I've experienced countless instances in which posts were active with zero activity for months, never renewed, and long after these posts were flagged numerous times for zero activity/fraud.

Typical "Help" Center response is-

"I have checked this with our team, they have advised that they found no violation or suspicious activity linked to the client."

But I like that your faith in UW's commitment to maintaining a safe and thriving online workspace!

Hi Nina,

I want to know, what happen when a job is automatically closed? Do I get my connects back?

And if not, then should I consider it lost?

9b660019
Community Member

Venkatesh B wrote:

I want to know, what happen when a job is automatically closed? Do I get my connects back?

And if not, then should I consider it lost?

Connects are only refunded under very narrow circumstances. It's best to be selective when submitting proposals and simply assume the connects will not be refunded.

Hi Venkatesh,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service

~ Joanne
Upwork
31ff0963
Community Member

Hi,
Does it mean that when a job is closed after the client hire a person, we won't get the connects back?

Sanjani W wrote:
Hi,
Does it mean that when a job is closed after the client hire a person, we won't get the connects back?

That is correct, you do not get the connects back.

Hi Nina,
I have used all connects but hired by only one client. One job was withdrawn while other two were closed by the clients after one or two days. With that I have one active and two submitted proposals. Can I get these connects back? If yes then how long would it take?

Hi Saba,

we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service

~ Joanne
Upwork
lashin_s
Community Member

Hi Petra,
I wanted to buy connects but it shows that the additional VAT is 19% although its is reduced here in germany to 16% as of the beginning of july.
Please clarify.
Thanks,
Sherif

Sherif L wrote:
Hi Petra,
I wanted to buy connects but it shows that the additional VAT is 19% although its is reduced here in germany to 16% as of the beginning of july.
Please clarify.
Thanks,
Sherif

You have to pay VAT on connects and the upwork fee unless you are the owner of a VAT number and enter it in your settings. 

Hi Sherif,

Sorry about the delayed response about this. This change in VAT rate for Germany is something Upwork team was recently made aware of and we'll be processing refunds accordingly. You will see that reflect in your Transaction History by the end of the month. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
e553b858
Community Member

if proposal in archived , can we get back connects?

Hi Best,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

dear job is cloed without hire bit conects are not back

6246ffd5
Community Member

wow, unfare

ksrinirao
Community Member

Client has closed the job without hiring me, but my connects(6) are yet to be returned.  Can someone from Upwork help me on this.

KSRao 

Hi Srinivasa,

Connects will only be refunded if the client closes the job or it expires without hiring anyone. You can check the official announcement in this Community thread

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

The page you are accessing is either unavailable or you do not have sufficient permission to view it.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Hi Miroslav,

It looks like the thread you're accessing has already been archived as the information shared was already outdated. However, Aleksandar's statement remains true. Connects will only be refunded if the client closes the job or it expires without hiring anyone.

~ AJ
Upwork

so i must say you have very good business model 🙂 i am new member and almost all connections i  had, are blocked with inactive clients. So forcing  me to pay for something what works like that is really ridiculous

seyoder
Community Member

Regardless of the reason that a job is closed without a hire or inactivity, and regardless of who closes it (again, as long as there is not a hire), connects should be refunded. And they should be closed after a certain period of inactivity. Otherwise, freelancers are spending their connects without any chance of value.

Quite honestly, Upwork should WANT to refund these connects to avoid any accusations that Upwork is posting fake jobs to get us to use our connects. If Upwork were to refund connects when a client doesn't look at a job for over two weeks, doesn't interview anyone for thirty days, or doesn't hire anyone in sixty days, they could never face accusations (or court action) that they are posting such jobs.

Otherwise, what you're saying basically is that Upwork is a gambling website where you'll lose most of your money.

francescafunari
Community Member

is like to hear broken record.. though ppl are telling you sometimes they don't receive their connect back even when "the job is closed without hire" and the reply is a copy/paste from your Policy Guidelines, do you even verify what are they telling you?

15b8ab81
Community Member

The Connects system is designed to encourage freelancers to apply selectively to jobs that are the best match for their skills and experience. Once you submit a proposal, Upwork assumes that you have made an effort to apply for that job, and the Connects are used to facilitate the process.

To get more Connects, you can follow these steps:

1. Log in to your Upwork account.
  2. Go to the "Find Work" tab.
  3. Click on "Connects" from the top menu.
  4. Click the "Buy Connects" button.
  5. Choose the number of Connects you want to purchase and proceed with the payment.
seyoder
Community Member

And the broken record continues.

The new connects policies have done nothing to curb fake and unresponsive jobs. They have done nothing to lower the incidence of unqualified freelancers. And Upwork STILL conveniently doesn't remove unmentioned job posts until after the 30 day mark.

Taken to its logical conclusion, this means the connects change is just what it always looked like; a money grab.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths