cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get chosen for jobs?

Barry S Member Since: May 3, 2017
1 of 8

I have been submitting proposals and never get chosen for Excel work. Many of the posting require so many Upwork hours. I have an Economics degree from a real university and have been a financial analyst for 15 years. I am looking for extra Excel work on the side. How do I get chosen?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 8

Because there are zillions of people working at $3/hour who can do the same thing, because your profile has almost nothing on it and because, heck, why would you do Excel work if you have a degree in economics?

(From a real University? There are unreal ones?)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
3 of 8

Yes, the Online Universities are the unreal ones. I will look into the profile thing and see if I can update. What other things should I be doing with my Economics degree? I am a financial analyst... Thanks for the input.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

"Financial analyst" and "Excel work" are not the same thing.

5 of 8

I am aware of that, but Excel work is where I perform my financial analysis.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 8

It *might* be worthwhile to showcase your expertise by adding one or 2 portfolio items. I can't tell you what those should look like, but if you look over the portfolios of a few successful freelancers who do Excel work, perhaps you'll get some ideas.

7 of 8

Thanks John. I will try that. All of the profiles have been private for the ones I have selected. I will see if I can find some private profiles.

Regards,

Barry Smith

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 8

Barry, I doubt that many are really private. You just need to log in to the site, visit one of the regular pages, not the community forum, then do a freelancer search with keyword excel. After that, use some filters, and there should be plenty of samples to look at.