🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to get connects
Page options
adriana1331
Community Member

How to get connects

Hello,

I'm new on Upwork and I have some doubts ..

1) how do I get connects to submit proposals?

2) how is the payment done?

Thanks 😊

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chrisbdk74
Community Member

Hi Adriana,

Being fairly new to this place myself, I had the same questions. 

As a "basic" member, you get 60 connects per month (I think), that you can use. 

It took a little while before my connects where available to use.

Payment is, as far as I understand, done via Upworks payment system and you can use either Paypal or a transfer method to get your earnings. 

You can read more here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/sections/202260708-Payment-Method

Hope this helped. 

/Christian

View solution in original post

130 REPLIES 130

Hello,
I have the account from a while. When I checked my connects from membership and connects I have found that I have 100 connects in the same time when I make any proposals it fails because I don't have connects !! What should I do to activate them or to be able to use them ?

Hi Marwa,

I checked and can see that you are an exclusive member of the agency you're part of. This means that when you submit proposals, those are branded with the agency and you're using the agency's Connects balance instead. You'd have to be a non-exclusive member if you wish to submit proposals with your Connects balance and your independent freelancer profile. You may check this help article to learn more. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hello Luiggi,
I have checked the link you have mentioned above but I couldn't know how to change my state to non - exclusive agency member .. could you help me more in how to change my condition ?

Hi Marwa, 

I checked your account, and it looks like you have already set your agency membership to non-exclusive. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I asked the agency to change it for me .. thank you

Hi Bojan S, 

I am aware that when the connects are used up, I have to buy more. the thing is when I go to setting as per instruction, a "promo ccode" is required to fill in before I can buy more connects. So, what is a " promo code"?

Thanks for your support 

Hi Chau, 

If you don't have a promo code that was issued to you through a marketing event, email, or through any of our marketing activities, you can leave the field blank and continue with the process.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi, am new to upwork I got 20 my first month, and the worse is I can't buy connect please what can I do

Lucky for you all to have 60.

I only have a limit of 20.

Hi is 60 connects recharge each 30 days or at 1 of every month

Hi Shareef,

Connects update at the beginning of each billing cycle. You can check your billing cycle by going to Settings> Membership & Connects. For Basic Plan, you'll get 60 free connects at the beginning of each cycle. You can learn more about that here.  Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
gergely84
Community Member

Hi! I have a problem. Can anyone help me, please? I have an active Freelancer Basic plan. I have been awarded the Rising Talent status yesterday, on Monday. Yesterday, my connect balance was 8 connects. After that, I got my 30 connects for the Rising Talent program. Now I have 38 connects. The problem is, I haven't yet received the 60 monthly connects for my membership. My Freelancer Basic Plan is active.

At the Membership Connects section, I read "0 per month". What does that mean? From now on, do I have to pay for every connect? I am willing to upgrade to Freelancer Plus. My Billing Cycle began on 17th June and I haven't got my 60 connects today, on 18th June. What to do? Please help me.

Thank you very much.

Hi Gergely,

Yes that is correct, once your account has been moved to paid Connects, you will have to purchase Connects to submit a proposal to any job (unless you are on our Freelancer Plus plan or rolled over some existing Connects). Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran!

Why was my account moved to paid Connects? I didn't ask for it. For now, I am a Freelancer Basic member, which is free. I didn't ask for my account to be moved to paid Connects. I thought I will get 60 connects free, every month. This month, I would pay for the Plus membersihip, if it is possible, but I thought that as a FREE, basic member, I will get 60 connects every month.

Hi Gergely,

This was announced about 2-months ago, where we sent an email to all users, posted in our blogsetup a resource page,  posted announcements in the Community here and town hall, which you can access the recording here.

You should be able to purchase new connects by adding a billing method to your account, or using your Upwork balance. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

All right, thank you.

is this still applicable today?

Hi Levi,

Your account was registered before the new Connects policy so you are not eligible for receiving 20 bonus connects for new freelancers. In your case, you'll need to purchase Connects in order to submit proposals. Connects are sold in the following bundles: 10 for $1.50, 20 for $3, 40 for $6, 60 for $9, 80 for $12. Purchasing Connects can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. Additionally, if you have a balance on Upwork you can use it to buy Connects.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi good day!

I check my settings and can't find membership plan. What will I do to get my connects or to buy a connects for paypal?

Hi Wendilyn,

Could you please try to use a different browser or clear your cache and cookies? If the issue persists, please let us know so we can assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

i m also new

Hi Siya,

Welcome to Upwork. You will need to complete your application and submit it for a review, our team will finish the review in up to 24 hours and contact you with the results. To learn more about getting started on Upwork check out this thread. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I'm new here, so if I am getting it correctly I cannot submit proposal nor apply in any Jobs posted unless I have connect please correct me if I'm wrong.

If so, then how are we freelancers (newbie) can start working without anything?

Thank and regards,

Deo

Hi Deo,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Yes, you are correct. You can not send proposals unless you have available Connects. Connects are not sold individually, but bundles begin at $1.50 for 10 Connects. Regardless of which bundle you choose, all Connects are priced at $0.15 apiece. Here are your bundle options:

• 10 for $1.50
  • 20 for $3
  • 40 for $6
  • 60 for $9
  • 80 for $12

All of these Connects expire one year from the date of issue. You can purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. Please note that this can vary based on your location. Additionally, you can buy Connects using your Upwork balance or PayPal. Lastly, to view your Connects History report, go to the “Reports” tab and choose Connects History.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

My account is old but i never used it before, but now without connects i cant apply for any proposal. Can i get few free connects ?

Hi Ankit,

At the moment we don't have free connects or promo codes. If you would like to send proposals you will need to purchase more connects. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello!
My name is Joseph and I'd like to ask you something.
I have signin on Upwork a month ago and 20/09 was the date I would get the 60 connections,but I got only 30 connections.
Maybe it was mistake and I thought I would get additional 30 connections soon, but I don't still get it.
I want to work here and I love Upwork.
I hope you will solve it asap.
Thank you.

Hi Joseph,

I just checked your connects history and everything is working as designed.

On our Basic plan you`re awarded 60 connects when your new cycle starts, this plan does not have the rollover option as our Plus plan has. On our Plus plan you'll have 70 connects each new cycle and the unused connects will also be rolled over in the next cycle. To learn more about this check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi!!

I am new to upwork. I have the free membership plan and 60 available connects. But my connect history is showing 0 connect. I am confused about how to get at least 2 connects so that I can submit a proposal. My 1st billing cycle is showing as Jan 25, 2019 — Feb 24, 2019. Please suggest.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nandita,

I checked your profile and you have 60 available connect to use for sending proposals. Please read this Help Article to find out how to Find Work and how to submit proposals for jobs that you find to suit your skills and experience. Also, check out this thread for help getting started on Upwork and tips to avoid questionable jobs.  

Also, please go to the Account menu > Settings > Click "My Info" to edit your location information (not the Invoice info) using the pencil icon on the right side, and then click on the field above the street field which is greyed, click the one with text ''Start typing your address'' and you will be able to update your address information and start sending proposals.

Let us know if you need further help. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

yes

You only get 60. ever. they do not refil every month you only get 60 when you first sign up. after that if you do not have a job by then you are **bleep** out of luck if you don't put in your own cash to apply for more jobs that are not even gauranteed to land a job. 

Hope you are doing great. I have been selected for an interview however until now I did not get my free connects. Please help me in this matter.

Hi Yasmeen,

I checked and can confirm that you've received the Connects. You can check this by going to the Memberships and Connects” page under User Settings and clicking on "View Connects History". The ones awarded for interviews should have this description. Feel free to check this help article to learn more.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I got only 10connects per month
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alok,

Please note that Freelancer Basic accounts receive 10 free Connects each month. You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I got only 10connects . please help me.

It is 10 connects per month, not 60.  

Thank you for sharing that information, Christian! It's indeed helpful for new users who are exploring Upwork and trying to understand how the platform works. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, Upwork provided different membership plans with varying numbers of "connects" that freelancers could use to submit proposals for projects. It's great to know that you've found out about the payment methods and the availability of connects.

For anyone reading this, I recommend checking the provided link and Upwork's official documentation for the most up-to-date and accurate information on their membership plans, connects, payment methods, and other platform-related details. Upwork's policies and features may have evolved since my last update.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Adriana,

Once you complete your freelancer profile and it's approved, you'll receive your monthly allotment of connects and will be able to apply for jobs.

Please, check out resources linked to this post by Vladimir to learn more about getting started on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths