🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to get connects
Page options
adriana1331
Community Member

How to get connects

Hello,

I'm new on Upwork and I have some doubts ..

1) how do I get connects to submit proposals?

2) how is the payment done?

Thanks 😊

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chrisbdk74
Community Member

Hi Adriana,

Being fairly new to this place myself, I had the same questions. 

As a "basic" member, you get 60 connects per month (I think), that you can use. 

It took a little while before my connects where available to use.

Payment is, as far as I understand, done via Upworks payment system and you can use either Paypal or a transfer method to get your earnings. 

You can read more here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/sections/202260708-Payment-Method

Hope this helped. 

/Christian

View solution in original post

130 REPLIES 130
chrisbdk74
Community Member

Hi Adriana,

Being fairly new to this place myself, I had the same questions. 

As a "basic" member, you get 60 connects per month (I think), that you can use. 

It took a little while before my connects where available to use.

Payment is, as far as I understand, done via Upworks payment system and you can use either Paypal or a transfer method to get your earnings. 

You can read more here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/sections/202260708-Payment-Method

Hope this helped. 

/Christian

Hello am also a new member. My account was approved three days ago and i still don't have any connects. How long will i have to wait for my connects? Its getting really boring just looking at the juicy jobs that i can't submit proposals to.

Hi Kevin,

Please select a membership plan either from Settings or by clicking the "0 Connects available" link on your Find Work page, and you'll receive the first allotment of Connects. Please also review the freelancer resources shared earlier on this thread before starting to submit proposals. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir -- What defines a "Connect?"

I got a hit on the first assignment I applied for, just finished it and am looking for more. When I clicked on one listing I was told I need more Connects. 

Please tell me what I am buying with the Plus plan. Does it entitle me to some number of notifications, or click throughs on offers, or applications, or a fixed number of monthly hirings? Or?

I'm interested in using your site, but I need to know what I am buying with a Premium program.

Thank you,

Roy Fuchs

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Roy,

A connect is what you use to bid on jobs and send proposals. The free basic plan comes with 60 connects a month and the plus plan comes with 70 connects plus some other features which you can read about here.  I would recommend perusing this thread which has helpful tips and excellent resources for users just getting started on the platform. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions Roy.

~Nina

Hi Nina you said that normally we have to get 60 connects but I just signed up and I received just 20 why ! And how and where to get more ?

Hi Ecaterina,

Thank you fo reaching out to us. This change started to take effect in May.  After their registration is accepted, a new freelancer receives 20 free Connects to help get them started. 

You can view FAQs about paid Connects and a video explaining the change from our Head of Product, here.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I also signed up and got 20 free connects. Will I get 20 connects each month for free?

Mehvish A wrote:

I also signed up and got 20 free connects. Will I get 20 connects each month for free?

No, you have to buy them when you run out.

Okay, Thank you!

What if we submit a proposal and we doesn;t get hit with the job, will our connect be lost?

So you're saying that this site takes away from our rate of pay, and makes us have to pay just to apply for a freelance job?

Hi Kenneth,

All freelancers were moved to paid connects back a year ago. To learn more about this check out our blog post Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

that's a shame.

a5db0d94
Community Member

Please I signed up 4 days ago and yet I have no single connect. Why
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chinonso, 

It looks like you created a client account instead of a freelancer account. Kindly refer to this article to know how you can create a freelancer account from your client account. Once your freelancer profile is set up, and your registration was accepted, your 20 complimentary connects will be credited to your account.

~ Avery
Upwork
f6126111
Community Member

how can i buy connects ? 

can i buy with my earning?

how can i get the promo code?

thks

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Arwa,

This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. Check the options available to you and learn more about the acceptable billing methods for paying memberships.

Our team doesn't have discount codes, or promos available at the moment. But periodically, offers are sent through email, at on-site Upwork events, and through different partnerships. If you would like to get the chance to participate in our marketing events, you may submit the following form and we'll add you to the list. You can always unsubscribe at any time.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
fc5315f6
Community Member

good day Sir, ive used up my 20 connects, and i just found an amazing job but no connects available, how can i apply then

Hi David,

If you have used up all your free connects, you may purchase them from your account. This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. To see the options available to you, click here. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

When we are giving 20% of our earnings to these people, then why these peoples are charging money in form of connetcs? Whether you get a job or not, these people continue to cut your connects. I would never advise anyone to use upwork.

upwork is one of the worst places for freelancers. They have neither a fast fast responsive website nor a mobile application.**Edited for community guidelines**they mean money only, not freelancers. When we give 20% of our earnings to these people, then why these peoples are charging money in form of connetcs? Whether you get a job or not, these people continue to cut your connects. I would never advise anyone to use upwork.

Hi Krishan,

You are not required to use any Connects under the following:

• When a client invites you to bid.
  • When a client sends you an offer.
  • When you send a proposal within an Enterprise Talent Cloud.

Sometimes, a project may get cancelled or a job may be removed from Upwork without a hire. In the following cases, these Connects will be returned:

• If a project is canceled by the client without making a hire, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned to the freelancer or agency. This does not apply to expired job posts.
  • If a job post has been removed by Upwork for a Terms of Service violation, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned to the freelancer or agency.

You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your prompt reply but you know I've applied for 5 jobs and 3 of them are closed but I've not received any connects in return. And even now I can't apply for any job because I don't have the connects. Now please tell me what should I do?

Thanks

Hi Krishan,

If you would like to send more proposals you can purchase Connects at any time by going to Settings > Membership & Connects. You can purchase Connects with your earnings or with your Billing method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
nasif92
Community Member

Hi,
I've joined your site as a basic user but got no connection.  
In "search jobs" I'm finding many jobs that match my professional experience. 
It will be good earning through your site if I can able to "send proposal".

Which I can't d currently. 

So what's the point to become Upwork Basic user when I can't submit a single proposal after opening the account? 

Hi Julqernine, 

To submit proposals, you will now have to purchase connects. You may purchase them from your account. This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. To see the options available to you, click here. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

did you get answer?

Yes I did. We can only purchase connects in bundle now. Each connect costs
$ 0.15

I think you have to subscribe on a monthly basis in order to get 60 connects per month.

Yes. Just the same to me..

Hi Warlyn,

I checked your account and it looks like there are Connects added to your account already. Each month, freelancers receive free Connects to help reach out to more clients. You also earn free Connects by reaching out and building relationships with  Upwork clients! Here are a few of the ways to earn Connects.

• Register for the first time. When you register as a new freelancer on Upwork, you’ll have 40 Connects to get started. When you complete the Upwork Readiness Test, you can win another 40 Connects -- that's 80 FREE Connects!
  • Win an interview. When you submit a proposal to a client and win an interview, you’ll get a bonus of 10 Connects. You can earn up to 50 Connects every seven days.
  • Complete an Upwork Skill Certification. If you earn an Upwork Skill Certification, you’ll enjoy a one-time Connects bonus.
  • Earn a badge. If you qualify for an Upwork Talent Badge, you may receive bonus Connects with it!

Please check out this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Nina

I’m new to Upwork. With the free basic plan coming with 60 free connects, after these are used up, do I need to purchase additional connects at 15 cents each, or are these just debited from any job I get. 

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tomas,

Going forward, Basic Membership doesn't include free connects. You can view FAQs about paid Connects and a video explaining the change from our Head of Product.

Please note that connects are not sold individually, but bundles begin at $1.50 for 10 Connects. Regardless of which bundle you choose, all Connects are priced at $0.15 apiece. Here are your bundle options:

• 10 for $1.50
  • 20 for $3
  • 40 for $6
  • 60 for $9
  • 80 for $12

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I got just 20 connects at the start of the month and now the new month has started but I still haven't received any connects. I'm on the basic membership plan.

Hi Fatimah, 

As I have noted on my response just before your post, please know that Connects can be purchased in the following bundles: 

• 10 for $1.50
  • 20 for $3
  • 40 for $6
  • 60 for $9
  • 80 for $12

You may read more about it here, and here

~ Avery
Upwork

I added 80 connects and paid 12usd, is that monthly payment? How can I stop the monthly payment and stay only as a free acct user.

Hi Andrea,

At the moment you`re on our Basic (free) plan and you have simply purchased additional connects. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks, so no monthly payment
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths