🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to get enough job
Page options
de5e5c2c
Community Member

How to get enough job

Dear community, I am new to Upwork. I noticed that there are just a few jobs and so many bidders. This site isn't as busy as I imagined.

I got into a first contract and was asked to use a tracker. There were a few tasks, I tried to arrange quiet time and work on them but they only last 1 - 2 hours per day at most and of course this won't be enough to make a living (me and famlity depends on this)

I guess many of you would try to get as many projects at the same time as you can to fill up 8h per day. But with current number of jobs on the site, I can see that it is impossible, especially for new comer. And also, suppose that we can work 4 projects at a time, the overhead and stress from 4 different owners would cost you much more than a regular full time job.

Is there a way to get out of this situation? or this site is dying and it is inevitable?

5 REPLIES 5
booksist
Community Member

Hi Justin,

Your profile is all about your hobbies. It doesn't make you look professional at all.

Also, you mentioned a team of 30 people. -- You are certainly aware that you are the only person who can use your account. It is individual. If you have a team, you need to create an agency, and each of the team members would need to have their individual profiles approved.

re: "or this site is dying and it is inevitable?"

This site is not dying. I have to keep my account blocked from clients seeing it nearly all the time. Otherwise I am flooded with invitations to work. I could be working 24 hours a day every day if that were physically possible.

You have not been here long. It takes time to get established. And you have not been serious about setting up your profile page. You can not expect instant success, especially when neglecting your profile problems.

tasamil
Community Member

Justin, what you essentially asked was is this site worth investing your time.

No one can answer that. This site is not dying, but your situation as a newbie who is just starting out is much worse than mine just four years ago. This is because today most of the jobs are U.S. only, and most of them are hidden after enough top rated applied. This is their business, so they can do whatever works for them.

I think nowadays it is a poor choice (for me, considering that I am outside the U.S.) and I don't work here actively, except for one old client.

This doesn't mean you can't land a great job. Also, you don't have to have a perfect profile because I've seen a terrible profile and this person made $1 million.

Iow, there are no rules. There are two quotes I like:"A winner is a loser who never gave up," and, "At times it is better to know when to exit than to enter." I made some small pocket money here because I was doing this in the interim, but maybe I could have made much more if I were completely focused on something else. Or you may give up, and miss that great opportunity just around the corner. Who knows? I don't. 

firasdurri
Community Member

I don't see why you're estimating that the jobs you'll get will only last a couple hours each if you're skilled with the technologies you've listed on your profile. I would recommend working on a few more projects to fill out your profile before drawing any conclusions.

I didn't become IMMEDIATELY successful on Upwork.

It took time.

It was a year or more of hard work before I began getting regular invites from clients.

Work hard and be patient. You've only been here a few weeks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths