🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to get hired when I am a beginning tr...
Page options
fabianatetamenti
Community Member

How to get hired when I am a beginning translator?

Hi,

I am having a difficult time getting hired. I am a beginning translator, I have some experience but since I haven't gotten any jobs here my success rate is zero and that way I am trapped in a vicious circle. Can you give me any advice, take a look at my profile and tell me how to improve, how to become visible to contractors?  

6 REPLIES 6
purplepony
Community Member

Fabiana, I'm not a Translator; perhaps one will come along.  However, I noticed your test results on your Profile. You're in the top 10% regarding English to Spanish but "Below Average" regarding Spanish to English.  As a result, you should not offer Spanish to English translation services.

Thanks for your input, Pat! I don't think such a test says anything about my ability as a translator. The score is above 4 out of 5, and the fact that others have scored higher doesn't mean that I am bad a translator.  Translators rely heavily on dictionaries and research, and I would say that the ability to translate a text well stylistically is more important, which the tests here on UpWork cannot really examine. I will definitely try to do better next time though!

Fabiana, I'm sincerely not attempting to irritate you or hurt your feelings.  The "bottom line" is that any "Below Average" test results don't look good to potential Clients.  The reasoning/explanation as to why you achieved those results is frankly immaterial. 

Fabiana T wrote:

Thanks for your input, Pat! I don't think such a test says anything about my ability as a translator. The score is above 4 out of 5, and the fact that others have scored higher doesn't mean that I am bad a translator.  Translators rely heavily on dictionaries and research, and I would say that the ability to translate a text well stylistically is more important, which the tests here on UpWork cannot really examine. I will definitely try to do better next time though!

4,24 out of 5 is a decent result, but that does not matter. Your profile is about optics. A potential client will spend maybe 2 seconds on it, and a below average result might be the cause he moves to the next one. In your marketing strategy, you must do everything to make these 2 seconds count!

In this short conversation it becomes clear that testing and job competency can diverge. This subject is known and understood. Nevertheless the nature of clients seeking qualified candidates will rarely touch upon this subtlety. Similarly, years of experience in a field of work becomes nullified on the Upwork platform since only work performed on the platform is relevant.
mystudiomke
Community Member

Hi Fabiana - I know how hard it can be in the beginning. I sent you a personal message with some additional thoughts and resources that may help.

Best,

Lila
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths