🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to get invited to a job?
Page options
abraham-kipsang
Community Member

How to get invited to a job?

Am new to upwork and have used all my connects. I am virtual assistant and WordPress webdesigner. Kindly help.

6 REPLIES 6
hommasi-younes
Community Member

you should wait for clients to read your proposal and get back to you. or if you need more connects you should buy them. you have to go settings -membership and connects.

petra_r
Community Member

Abraham K wrote:

Am new to upwork and have used all my connects. I am virtual assistant and WordPress webdesigner. Kindly help.

Your chances of being invited for any genuine jobs as a newbie in those desperately overcrowded categories are close to 0. There are nearly 200 000 Wordpress freelancers (remember, only 10 per page of search results...) and well over 100 000 virtual assistants.

does this means , he should quit?

I am a React JS Developer and new to upwork spoiled all of my connects and can't get a single job yet, people tell me that you have to buy fake reviews for the startup of your work once you do that clients will come to you.............  If you have no reviews nobody even bother to talk with you ....... are they telling right?

Noureldin N wrote:

Buying fake reviews is Illegal. Further more, You'll move money from the account ' A ' to the account ' B ' to be able to make a review for it. And that's called Money Laundering, So you'll have two issues, Tricking the clients also making a Money Laundering process from A to Z, Further more,

Impersonation for a fraud while both are you. Further more, I am facing the same issue of you which is no task yet. But instead of wasting money by illegal way like that because of it you'll pay 20% to upwork in that process. If you're willing to trick the people by 100$ that upwork will take 20$ from it, Its better to use that 20$ to buy connects and apply for jobs.

1. It is not illegal in a legal sense, but forbidden by ToS on upwork.

2. This is not money laundering, unless the money was obtained by illegal means. 

Amir A wrote:

I am a React JS Developer and new to upwork spoiled all of my connects and can't get a single job yet, people tell me that you have to buy fake reviews for the startup of your work once you do that clients will come to you.............  If you have no reviews nobody even bother to talk with you ....... are they telling right?

I assume that fake reviews are a TOS violation so you are definitely risking getting your account punted.  But really the biggest problem with fake reviews is they look like fake reviews.  They also tie back to client accounts that have a lot of reviews that look like fake reviews.  

I don't know if someone should quit, that is a personal decision, and I cannot speak about what Petra meant, but I can say you cannot walk into a room filled with people all wearing the same black suit as you and expect to stand out.  So many people come on here and plunk down the skills they have or what they  think they can do and just expect miracles to happen.  It is literally like they are adding themselves as

JUST ANOTHER WORDPRESS DEVELOPER

JUST ANOTHER VIRTUAL ASSISTANT

JUST ANOTHER REACT JS DEVELOPER

I came to Upwork a little more than a year ago.  I was:

JUST ANOTHER .NET DEVELOPER

I may have just gotten lucky.  I am an American, I think that helps a lot, but there was a guy on here the other day, also an American, declaring this entirity of Upwork basically as a hoax.  He also said that me and people like me are just plain lucky.  Maybe that is all there is to it.

However, if he had asked I would have suggested that his problem is he is standing around thinking he is awesome waiting for his turn to get picked.  Instead you have to go around proving you are awesome over and over to every client specifically in the way they need you to be awesome.  You have to find some way to shine a light on your particular skillset that makes it at least seem you are the best candidate for the jobs you propose on.

Good clients generally don't come here for JUST ANOTHER ANYTHING, what they want is their problems solved.  They are looking for people who will solve their SPECIFIC problem and will do so with the least friction for themselves as possible.

So if all you can say about yourself is I am an X, you are probably not going to stand out.  But if you can take this huge pool of X and carve some niche out of it and feel good about positioning yourself as really great at that niche, then you have a chance.  You also then know who your clients are and can focus in on solving their problems.

Amir A wrote:

They are not, IMO a private 5 $ job with ecstatic feedback looks even weirder than no job at all, so I would  not recommend it, besides the obvious risk of your profile being zapped, and lastly, lying. Did your mother not teach you better?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths