🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to make sure I get paid
Page options
ccum7749
Community Member

How to make sure I get paid

Hi,This is my first contract with Upwork and I am doing piece work. The client has agreed to pay me per audio hour that I transcribe. How do I get my employer to pay me? I have no idea how to let Upwork know how much to bill my employer.Thanks! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Have you and the client agreed whether you will be paid by the hour or per piece or some other measurement of your work product?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Have you and the client agreed whether you will be paid by the hour or per piece or some other measurement of your work product?

Yes. I get paid per audio hour as agreed. However, I do not know how to let
Upwork know that is how I get paid. Since not all the time I spend on a
recording is paid. Just the length of the audio.

Then multiply the audio hours with your hourly rate and ask the client to set up a fixed price contract with that amount. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Well, we don't "bill our employers."

That is not part of the Upwork user interface.

There are fixed-price contracts and hourly contracts.

And clients can pay us using the Bonus tool.

Your safest route is to use fixed-price contracts or milestones. But you could also use an open hourly contract through which you do not log time, but the client pays you using bonuses.

There is no Upwork protection using said technique, but if the client consistently pays you for your work, that's okay.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Catherine Hannah C wrote:

Hi,This is my first contract with Upwork and I am doing piece work. The client has agreed to pay me per audio hour that I transcribe. How do I get my employer to pay me? I have no idea how to let Upwork know how much to bill my employer.Thanks! 

You should clarify all these questions with your client before accepting an offer. Only accept an offer when you: are clear on the requirements, timelines, fee per hour, etc. The pitfall of accepting an offer and asking questions later are: lots of headaches trying to get this information later, possibly an unhappy client who leaves a bad review, or a contract ended with no deliverables and no money paid, which will reflect badly on your JSS.

If you question is only technical and refers to how upwork does transactions, well, you should educate yourself very quickly with the huge amount of material that is available here on how to use this platform. 

You might still have a good experience with this client, but, sorry to say, you have not approached your task in a professional manner.

Some clients are especially looking for newbies to exploit their naivety. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

further to this: did the client send you an offer, have you accepted an offer yet? Do you see a job listed in the MY JOBS/ my jobs dropdown menu? If not, don't start working and start clarifying all your open questions. 

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it is in 'My jobs'. 

petra_r
Community Member

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

re: "Yes. I get paid per audio hour as agreed. However, I do not know how to let Upwork know that is how I get paid."

No, you do not "let Upwork know" anything.

You do not contact Upwork about this. You do not talk to Customer Support about this. That would accomplish nothing, as they can not create a custom pay model for you.

You may talk to us here in the Community Forum if you need to.

There are three potential payment models you may use:

- fixed-price

- hourly

- bonus

That is all. You will need to figure out how to use the options available to you, coordinating with your client.

"Piece work per audio hour" is not an option. There is no button for that.

You need to use the available options, or you will not be paid. You can ADAPT the available options to your needs. You can not tell Upwork to create a special new option for you.

ccum7749
Community Member

Thanks. Petra, this is most helpful. It says 'Active' on the Milestones.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths