🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to prepare for the Upwork Readiness T...
Page options
dsmgdesign
Community Member

How to prepare for the Upwork Readiness Test

Hello, 

I just received an email last night inviting me to take the Upwork Readiness Test in order to become a rising talent. I'm super stoked and look forward to passing the test so that I can earn my rising talent badge. My question is, what matrerials should I study in preparation for the test? I have reviewed the documents listed on the "Become a Rising Talent" page that I pasted below. Is there anything else that I should study that would be covered on the test? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, I'm writing this response in case anyone has the same questions. This test was easy with common sense questions. Just need to read the freelancers guide and there was one other basic, introductory piece. No in-depth questions on the TOS, so no need to waste your time reading the legalese, like I did. No sweat. Now just waiting for my rising talent badge, which as I understand it from reading another community post could take up to 48 hrs. I'll reach back after 48hrs if still no rising talent badge. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Read and  understand the Terms of Service.  Know how payments work.  (I  haven't taken the test but I suspect this is what's important)

Thanks so much for responding, Mary. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I wasn't sure how in depth it would go into the TOS. But I think that's good advice. I look forward to hearing from anyone else that has taken the test. 

So, I'm writing this response in case anyone has the same questions. This test was easy with common sense questions. Just need to read the freelancers guide and there was one other basic, introductory piece. No in-depth questions on the TOS, so no need to waste your time reading the legalese, like I did. No sweat. Now just waiting for my rising talent badge, which as I understand it from reading another community post could take up to 48 hrs. I'll reach back after 48hrs if still no rising talent badge. 

@David S M wrote:

David,

If in-depth reading of the ToS for how to pass the readiness test is not required, knowledge of Upwork's ToS goes a long way to help newcomers avoid serious pitfalls. So it is better not to imply that this is not necessary. 

As to the rising talent badge - you might well get this and I hope you do - but passing the readiness test is only one criterion among the many required. It is also somewhat arbitrary. It is not something you earn, but something that is awarded. I have seen profiles that have the RT badge that do not appear to meet any of the criteria - so don't hold your breath. Work instead, toward a solid JSS. 

A freelancer automatically loses the Rising Talent badge once they qualify for a JSS - usually after several successfully completed jobs - so if you are working at the moment and expecting to be paid and rated on a couple of jobs, you may not qualify for the RT badge. 

As to the rising talent badge - you might well get this and I hope you do - but passing the readiness test is only one criterion among the many required.   

While I know this is true broadly speaking, in my case I received an email inviting me to be a rising talent. In it, the email said: 

"To help you build your business reputation through Upwork, we want to award you with Rising Talent status, including a badge on your profile. Less than 5% of freelancers are offered Rising Talent status based on impressive qualifications inside and outside of Upwork.....To join the program, all you need to do is pass the Upwork Readiness Test. It should take less than 10 minutes and it provides tips to help you win clients. Click below to take the test and claim Rising Talent perks." 

If there is other criteria that I need to meet, Upwork didn't mention any of that in the email that I received, so I think I may have already met all of the other criteria? Thoughts? 

@David S M wrote:

As to the rising talent badge - you might well get this and I hope you do - but passing the readiness test is only one criterion among the many required.   

While I know this is true broadly speaking, in my case I received an email inviting me to be a rising talent. In it, the email said: 

"To help you build your business reputation through Upwork, we want to award you with Rising Talent status, including a badge on your profile. Less than 5% of freelancers are offered Rising Talent status based on impressive qualifications inside and outside of Upwork.....To join the program, all you need to do is pass the Upwork Readiness Test. It should take less than 10 minutes and it provides tips to help you win clients. Click below to take the test and claim Rising Talent perks." 

If there is other criteria that I need to meet, Upwork didn't mention any of that in the email that I received, so I think I may have already met all of the other criteria? Thoughts? 

You may indeed have met all the criteria to be awarded a RT badge. Nobody knows, because UW seems to award it or not, at their own discretion, and it's not always clear why or why not. And as Nichola pointed out, once you get a JSS going, the RT badge goes away anyway. So, not to throw your candy in the dirt, but it's hard to know how meaningful RT is.

Personally, I'm disappointed to learn the Readiness Test doesn't require strong knowledge of the ToS. But then, I believe UW should have a test that meaningfully measures understanding of the platform and of freelancing in general, and that all FLs should be required to pass it before being allowed to bid on projects. It would protect inexperienced and/or harebrained FLs from themselves, protect them from unscrupulous clients, protect hapless clients from inexperienced FLs, and take a considerable load off the CS function by eliminating the need to deal with the same unnecessary basic problems over and over and over.

@David S M wrote:

This is a standard letter sent out to many freelancers - and they do not all receive the RT badge. Despite the general criteria required, it is not a one-size fits all. As I said, I hope you get it, but don't be too disappointed if you don't. 

What is actually tested in the upwork readiness test? Is there a specific site or source of study materials that aid in preparation for other tests?

I just took the Rising Talent test and recieved a 5/5 score. To prepare for it, I watched the 6 short videos that Upwork provided https://www.upwork.com/hiring/education/getting-started-for-freelancers/

Hope that helps! 🙂

Sorry to say but i didn't find any videos on provided url, please guide me

https://www.upwork.com/resources/how-to-get-started-on-upwork-as-a-freelancer

Hi Atish,

To learn more about the Upwork Readiness test and how to prepare for it, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

When I got an email for Upwork Readiness Test.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad,

You can go ahead and take the Upwork Readiness Test. Once you are done with it and meet all the other requirements for the Rising Talent program, you should receive the badge within 48 hours.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
acardius
Community Member

Pour passer le test de préparation il faut d'abord avoir travaillé sur la plateforme ? ou les nouveaux peuvent aussi? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths