🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to protect payment information (bank acct...
Page options
e4c2827f
Community Member

How to protect payment information (bank acct, Paypal or CC) from freelancer?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am considering hiring a freelancer to manage my eccomerce store, giving them access to Shopify and my WP website. Now, how can I trust the freelancer I just met, giving them access to the backend where they can easily find my Paypal API, credit card info, etc? Is there anyway to hide these things from them? At least until they have proven themselves trustworthy?

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

Alejandro:

I have worked with the third-party systems you are referring to.

It is possible to set up a development environment which uses developer-only or test-only API keys.

One option you have is for your developer to work on a development server/development site version of your system, and only use test/demo API keys, credit card numbers.

For example, one system I set up for a client is completely functional on the DEV server, without using a real API key for the payment gateway. It uses a developer API key, and with that I can use specific provided credit card numbers from the Developer API documentation to test the system thoroughly.

(Note that I am not available to be hired, but any developer who is able to use the APIs associated with PayPal, Shopify, etc., should also be able to use the developer versions of these.)

Eventually you will need somebody to help you move your development source code to your production server. But you can learn to do that yourself. Or you can work with only one trusted developer to do that, and the rest of the freelancers on your team can work only on the Development server.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths