🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to use Work Diary
Page options
729d0445
Community Member

How to use Work Diary

I'm not sure if I should post this here or under Freelancers, but I am a "New to Upwork Freelancer".  But, in order to be prepared for when I begin accepting time-based jobs, where can I find information, or a tutorial, on how to use the Work Diary?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
bilsim
Community Member

You may check some guidelines here

You can only do the edits on an active contract. Not sure how you'll practice the features without an active contract, but I think you'll be able to at least explore and get familiar with them. 

729d0445
Community Member

Thank you very much.  I appreciate the link.  

i_ryan
Community Member

Hi,

Quick follow up.

Do I need to update the work diary if I am on a contract that pays per hour? Will the employer update it or do i need to?

Thank you in advance.

Imogen R wrote:

Hi,

Quick follow up.

Do I need to update the work diary if I am on a contract that pays per hour? Will the employer update it or do i need to?

Thank you in advance.

If the hourly contract permits manually logged hours, then you need to update the work diary each day, otherwise you will be using the desktop time tracker. If you use the tracker as specified including adequate memos of activity, then you will be paid even if the client disputes any of the logged hours (up to a maximum amount with a given client, I think it's $2-3k). There is no payment protection for manually logged hours and for that reason, you're strongly advised to stick with automatically tracked hours unless you are an experienced FL who is comfortable managing that risk. 

If any of this is news to you, then you should spend more time getting familiar with how the platform works before getting involved with clients and projects. It's easy to make a misstep that can cost you time, money, and/or a dent on your UW job history/JSS.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths