🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: How to verify languages
Page options
hashmizaid
Community Member

How to verify languages

Hello,

I saw several new freelancer profiles recently on upwork with verified badges beside their languages. These freelancers didn't even give any language skill tests. How should I verify the language on my profile?

Regards,

Zaid Hashmi

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Zaid H wrote:

Hello,

I saw several new freelancer profiles recently on upwork with verified badges beside their languages. These freelancers didn't even give any language skill tests. How should I verify the language on my profile?

You will only have seen English verified, and that happens either because the freelancer has had enough clients confirm the set English level in their feedback or because the freelancer has successfully passed (and uploaded the certificates) officially recognized language exams, such as IELT for example, or the Duolingo test, those cost money though.

You will likely have a hard time getting yours confirmed as native / bilingual level though, and frankly in your category it's really not needed anyway.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
petra_r
Community Member

@Zaid H wrote:

Hello,

You will only have seen English verified, and that happens either because the freelancer has had enough clients confirm the set English level in their feedback or because the freelancer has successfully passed (and uploaded the certificates) officially recognized language exams, such as IELT for example, or the Duolingo test, those cost money though.

You will likely have a hard time getting yours confirmed as native / bilingual level though, and frankly in your category it's really not needed anyway.

Hello Mrs Perta

I'm verified in English as level Conversational and depend on your replay to be fluent clients must confirm that.

my question is how client confirm that? and must I change the language to fluent to get verified or it will be verified it I deserved it by upwork system?

karkas44
Community Member

Hi Petra,

I had this same question and arrived to this post looking for the answer. However, ther are a couple of things I would like to ask you. I see that this reply is from 2 years ago, can clients still confirm the English level of freelancers in the feedback they give? Also, can you report a TOEFL score to Upwork? 

Thank you.

Hi Carlos,

I would like to confirm Petra's post, clients can rate their FLs fluency when a contract is ended. Freelancers can get English verified on Upwork in two ways: 1) taking a test (including IELTS - English Proficiency Exam, Cambridge, and Duolingo), 2) getting rated by 3 clients (when ending their contracts).

~ Riri

Hi Riri,
               I am top rated and have more than 3 reviews, so what's the reason that I have not got it verified. One of my friends, whose is not even top rated and have only 7 reviews, has got the English language verified and he told me that he had recieved a call from Upwork that was about 2 minutes and after that he had got the badge.
Profile 1.PNG                                                                               Profile 2.PNG

Wha't the reason in my case?

Thank you for your response!

Hi Ahmad,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello everyone! I have a quick question about the scores. I would really like to verify my english level as fluent, although I can't really say whether it's fluent or conversational. Is there a way I can predict my score? I have taken plenty of online placement tests and all of them put me in the range from B1 to C1 (Duolingo puts me in the 115-155 range), is it enough for fluent? My incomes are not that high so paying 49 bucks for this test would be a significant amount of money spent for me, so I was wondering if whether it's better for me to improve my english level for several months more or whether I take the risk.

Hello, I have completed more than 45 English - Amharic and vice versa translation projects but you haven't given me the "English Verified" icon yet. What is missing?

Hi Dawit,

I checked and it looks like the English Verified Badge is visible on your profile. 

Please let us know here if you need any further assistance.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi, I want to know where can I take the test to get the badge for my fluency in English?

Hi Ian,

To earn the English Verification Badge you can take the IELTS, Cambridge, or Duolingo tests. You will also earn the badge if 3 clients rate your English proficiency when ending their contracts with you.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
27ejy
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

I have 4 5-star contracts with 3 different clients and I am also doing English to English transcription for my current client right now and billed him 100+ hours on our existing contract.

My question is that you have said that we can earn the badge after the client's rate our English proficiency in 3 different contracts. Why does the badge doesn't show on my profile?

Thanks,

Von

Hi Von Carlo,

Andrea explained that you can earn the badge if 3 clients rate your English proficiency when ending their contracts with you. This means that once you earn enough clients who rated your English proficiency, the badge will be added to your profile. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
27ejy
Community Member

Thank you, Joanne Marie. 

While appling on jobs i am eligible in english fluent category but don't have batch on my profile.

so when will i get language batch ?

Thanks 

Ikram

Hi Ikram,

The accepted tests to earn the English Verification Badge are IELTS, Cambridge, and Duolingo. Alternatively, you can earn the badge if 3 clients rate your English proficiency when ending their contracts with you.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hey, Does having a SAT 1 with essay certification count?

Hi Arishmah,

The accepted tests to earn the English Verification Badge are IELTS, Cambridge, and Duolingo. Alternatively, you can earn the badge if 3 clients rate your English proficiency when ending their contracts with you.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi, I've more than three 5-star ratings for my communication but didn't get the verified batch. Is there something that I'm not understanding correctly?

I honestly don't understand your insecurity regarding non-native speakers and their English level. I have read countless posts of all categories, and I can see you're an active community member, but each time they are related to English, you always need to point out how their level is not “fluent” or "native.” based on the way they wrote the post, as if they requested your opinion on that particular subject or as if you yourself have a problem with them. Those unrelated comments do not help them move forward and are unnecessary. I recommend you address your own insecurities; it seems personal. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ASHISH, 

I understand you are looking to get information about getting the "English Verified" badge on your profile.

You can do that by taking the new English Certification Test by Duolingo or the English Certifications by Cambridge. You can also check the English Certifications that we accept on this page. 

If three of your clients rate you on your English proficiency, these will be considered. 

~ Avery
Upwork
7b2564eb
Community Member

Hi Avery

If I take the test to verify the proficiency level, what score in Duolingo test would be considerred as "fluent" or above? any detail information about the bar?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths