Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to verify languages

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zaid H Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
1 of 12

Hello,

I saw several new freelancer profiles recently on upwork with verified badges beside their languages. These freelancers didn't even give any language skill tests. How should I verify the language on my profile?

Regards,

Zaid Hashmi

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

@Zaid H wrote:

Hello,

I saw several new freelancer profiles recently on upwork with verified badges beside their languages. These freelancers didn't even give any language skill tests. How should I verify the language on my profile?

You will only have seen English verified, and that happens either because the freelancer has had enough clients confirm the set English level in their feedback or because the freelancer has successfully passed (and uploaded the certificates) officially recognized language exams, such as IELT for example, or the Duolingo test, those cost money though.

You will likely have a hard time getting yours confirmed as native / bilingual level though, and frankly in your category it's really not needed anyway.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Moustafa E Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
3 of 12

Hello Mrs Perta

I'm verified in English as level Conversational and depend on your replay to be fluent clients must confirm that.

my question is how client confirm that? and must I change the language to fluent to get verified or it will be verified it I deserved it by upwork system?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Carlos C Member Since: Apr 23, 2019
4 of 12

Hi Petra,

I had this same question and arrived to this post looking for the answer. However, ther are a couple of things I would like to ask you. I see that this reply is from 2 years ago, can clients still confirm the English level of freelancers in the feedback they give? Also, can you report a TOEFL score to Upwork? 

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Riri A Member Since: Jul 21, 2018
5 of 12

Hi Carlos,

I would like to confirm Petra's post, clients can rate their FLs fluency when a contract is ended. Freelancers can get English verified on Upwork in two ways: 1) taking a test (including IELTS - English Proficiency Exam, Cambridge, and Duolingo), 2) getting rated by 3 clients (when ending their contracts).

~ Riri
Highlighted
Ahmad A Member Since: Oct 10, 2017
6 of 12

Hi Riri,
               I am top rated and have more than 3 reviews, so what's the reason that I have not got it verified. One of my friends, whose is not even top rated and have only 7 reviews, has got the English language verified and he told me that he had recieved a call from Upwork that was about 2 minutes and after that he had got the badge.
Profile 1.PNG                                                                               Profile 2.PNG

Wha't the reason in my case?

Thank you for your response!

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
7 of 12

Hi Ahmad,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Carlos Eduardo G Member Since: Nov 15, 2019
8 of 12

Hello everyone! I have a quick question about the scores. I would really like to verify my english level as fluent, although I can't really say whether it's fluent or conversational. Is there a way I can predict my score? I have taken plenty of online placement tests and all of them put me in the range from B1 to C1 (Duolingo puts me in the 115-155 range), is it enough for fluent? My incomes are not that high so paying 49 bucks for this test would be a significant amount of money spent for me, so I was wondering if whether it's better for me to improve my english level for several months more or whether I take the risk.

Highlighted
Dawit H Member Since: Sep 8, 2020
9 of 12

Hello, I have completed more than 45 English - Amharic and vice versa translation projects but you haven't given me the "English Verified" icon yet. What is missing?

Highlighted
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
10 of 12

Hi Dawit,

I checked and it looks like the English Verified Badge is visible on your profile. 

Please let us know here if you need any further assistance.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled