🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to win my first job
Page options
evans82
Community Member

How to win my first job

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing great.

Now, I am a newbie in Upwork, and I have spent many days building my portfolio and writing proposals to potential clients (job posts that specifically want Newbies). I put considerable effort into it, but I have not been lucky enough to land my first job since I began. I feel discouraged at times, but that does not mean that I will give up.

I see that most clients are looking for freelancers from the United States. As much as there are many good writers in the US, I am also a good writer and a dedicated one, but from Kenya.

I would appreciate it if I could learn a few tips from this community that will help me land my first job in Upwork.

Thank you all

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
apealtiwari98
Community Member

I am also a newbie here.

I've completed 3 projects and about to get the 4th one.

Here's What is Working for me.

1. Start with Greetings.

2. Talk About Your Experience, Related Skills and Related Works.

3. Tell them you understand how critical the listed project can be to achieve client's     Objective.

4. If you are a Programmer or a Developer, Tell them your approach.

4. References to Related Previous Works.

After getting reply from the client, If you are able to do a good job, You should be able to get the offer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
apealtiwari98
Community Member

I am also a newbie here.

I've completed 3 projects and about to get the 4th one.

Here's What is Working for me.

1. Start with Greetings.

2. Talk About Your Experience, Related Skills and Related Works.

3. Tell them you understand how critical the listed project can be to achieve client's     Objective.

4. If you are a Programmer or a Developer, Tell them your approach.

4. References to Related Previous Works.

After getting reply from the client, If you are able to do a good job, You should be able to get the offer.

Thank you. But, If I may ask, how long did it take you to land the first assignment? (I will implement all that you have advised).

I don't know may be same day or next day. First job I did was at very cheap rate for lot of work. 

Second Job was better. 20$/hr , I completed the work in 3.5 hrs.

Second client contacted me again and i got rehired for 3rd job @20/hr finished work in 2.5 hrs.

Also, Remember to look at the Client's hire rate and If they have verified payment method. Also, Only apply to jobs that explain their project clearly. Some people just post the job to test out. 

Thank you, Sir. In fact, I did not know about the "hiring rate." In my next proposal, I will be keen to look at the client's hiring rate. Thank you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths