🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I Declined An 85$ job new freelancer
Page options
chester_onah
Community Member

I Declined An 85$ job new freelancer

Hello everyone, I registered on upwork on May ending and I have been able to land 3 jobs so far. 2 jobs from a longtime client whom I am also working on his third project. At first I bid 600$ to my second client who is now a long time, and he said I should be doing projects almost for free to gain Jss or good rating to improve my profile and I finally agreed at 150, I vowed never to go below that again. After that I got much higher job from him upto 250 for 10 hourly job and it's great. Now I got a job today, and the client insisted at 85$ which I gladly declined. I felt I am way too high for the payment, and at same time he kept on saying how I need to find more jobs to improve my profile. Did I do wrong? As a new freelancer, do I need to go very low just to have jss? I read in this forum how low jobs actually affects clients on the long run? The offer is still open and I can still accept today. But I don't want to make any mistakes
Should I accept the offer just to improve my Jss
Avoid it like I have done and loose having more jobs and less rating?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
9b660019
Community Member

Whether a job is too cheap for you is something only you can decide.

While it's true that you don't need to go very low in order to earn a JSS score, you do need to pass a certain threshold of completed jobs (and a certain number of different clients) to earn your JSS. Accepting lower value jobs will typically get you over that threshold sooner.

Whether earning your JSS faster makes it worth accepting cheaper jobs is something else only you can decide.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
9b660019
Community Member

Whether a job is too cheap for you is something only you can decide.

While it's true that you don't need to go very low in order to earn a JSS score, you do need to pass a certain threshold of completed jobs (and a certain number of different clients) to earn your JSS. Accepting lower value jobs will typically get you over that threshold sooner.

Whether earning your JSS faster makes it worth accepting cheaper jobs is something else only you can decide.

Thank you Adam. I replied the client to do the job as I noticed he has not hired anyone, and client seemed to have "chickened" out. I'll be more careful this time..I have another question!

If I submit for jobs in the recommended jobs section, will I get more attention than submitting jobs just in my search job feed? Reason is that I spend so much buying connects as a new freelancers and out of every 10 sent proposals I just get 2 replies which is quite poor.

Onah C wrote:
Thank you Adam. I replied the client to do the job as I noticed he has not hired anyone, and client seemed to have "chickened" out. I'll be more careful this time..I have another question!

If I submit for jobs in the recommended jobs section, will I get more attention than submitting jobs just in my search job feed? Reason is that I spend so much buying connects as a new freelancers and out of every 10 sent proposals I just get 2 replies which is quite poor.

2 out of 10 is a great result. There are many people complaining about 1/100.

It does not matter in which list you see the jobs, it is just some algorithm that might identify jobs that match you profile or don't.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Onah C wrote:
At first I bid 600$ to my second client who is now a long time, and he said I should be doing projects almost for free to gain Jss or good rating to improve my profile and I finally agreed at 150, I vowed never to go below that again. After that I got much higher job from him upto 250 for 10 hourly job and it's great. Now I got a job today, and the client insisted at 85$ which I gladly declined. I felt I am way too high for the payment, and at same time he kept on saying how I need to find more jobs to improve my profile. 

I think that you did the right thing by refusing a huge price cut. Clients who try to bully you into doing cheap work in return for feedback are not good clients to have (and they'll often be difficult to please and will leave you bad feedback anyway!). Also, keep in mind that in order to get your JSS you need to work for at least three different clients, and to achieve top-rated status, you need to earn at least $1,000; therefore, the client who told you that you should be doing projects for him "almost for free" was wrong, because if you do lots of low-paid work for the same client, it will take longer for you to become top rated. (I would have stopped working for that client as well - they sound awful.) They are wasting your time when you could be looking for much better clients instead.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths