cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Need to pay a freelancer NOW...not next week when Upwork has invoiced it

Phil M Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
1 of 6

I appreciate, I'm new to Upwork and may have set up the contract incorrectly, however it seems the payment for my freelancer will not go through until next Friday (it is now Monday)

I need to pay this guy NOW ASAP as I have other jobs but I doubt he will take on jobs again if he is not paid for previous. 

Please advise as a matter or urgency how I can pay today via the card on my account. thank you

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Is it a funded, milestone based fixed rate contract?

If you have released a milestone you HAVE paid your freelancer. 

Maria Antonieta R Member Since: Dec 1, 2015
3 of 6

Hello! Welcome to this platform.

Freelancers can't receive the payments right away. 

If your seller has some time working here he knows this is how it works.

All the payments need a week for the job revision and then another week where the payment is going to be "pending".

Hope this info works for you.

Phil M Member Since: Mar 13, 2017
4 of 6

I understand and have relayed the information to the freelancer and he is satisfied with the situation.
In future I need to make sure what terms I'm putting into the contract.
Thanks for the help

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 6

Hi Phil,

I see you've set up an Hourly contract and payments are processed in line with our weekly billing cycle. You have a few options that include setting up a Fixed-Price contract and funding Escrow, or issuing a bonus payment on the existing Hourly contract. Please note that bonus payments, like all payments on Upwork, will be subjected to a 5-day security period and are not covered by Hourly Payment Protection. make sure to review the client resources we shared here in order to get up to speed with payment processing procedures on Upwork.

Please speak with your freelancer and let us know how you wish to proceed, so we can advise you further.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

Professional, ethical freelancers who use the Upwork system know how the system works. They are familiar with the payment schedule and the securities and protections that schedule makes possible. They do not try to circumvent that system.

If a freelancer tries to buck the system with a client and get paid NOW, it means that the freelancer is a total newbie who has not bothered to read the instructions, or it means that he is some kind of scammer. 

Of course, there is a difference between paying a bonus NOW or releasing escrow payment funds NOW. Those things are okay to do. But the money is subject to a 5-day security hold. It is not okay to try to circumvent the security hold. So a client can not DIRECTLY and immediately transfer money to a freelancer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS