cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having trouble getting any response on here as a graphic designer

Highlighted
Chad B Member Since: Sep 12, 2019
1 of 18

I am new to the upwork platform and am having issues getting jobs. I have yet to get one job. I know I am more than capable of doing the jobs I am bidding on. Can anyone look at my profile and point me in the right direction? I love what I do and I would love the be able to get more jobs and help people who need it. 

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
2 of 18

Chad - It takes time to get started on Upwork and you are competing against many other people. Your profile looks pretty good to me but you need to have really good proposals where you dwell on what you can do for a client with not much emphasis about yourself.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 18
Chad, I think your portfolio needs more variety. Everything you have in there is dark. How about balancing that with something light and uplifting?
4 of 18

Thanks. I do have a few designs I did that are lighter. Thank you for the input! Anything and everything helps! 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 18

Here is the problem... Your profile title...

Graphic Designer

Being a graphic designer isn't enough. Too many graphic designers.

You need to:

- be something more

- be something else

[or]

- be better

Those are your choices.

You could specialize in a particular type of graphic design task that clients are looking for.

Or you could do something completely different. You could, for example, drive a septic truck or become a security system repairman.

Or you could be not just "a graphic designer" but a highly in-demand graphic designer. Somebody with a long work history and excellent feedback. Somebody who a client wants to pick out a possible set of 30 graphic designers.

6 of 18

Yeah, I totally understand that. I love doing book covers and for some reason that is what I am good at.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
7 of 18

Chad - If you love doing book covers and that is what you are really good at, then that is what you should emphasize - like maybe the headline on your profile should be "Book Cover Designer." Then be sure to have some book covers in your portfolio. Also, it is the first two sentences on your profile that are the most important. Those sentences are what will catch someone's eye - and you don't want them to be about yourself but about the great things you can do for someone.

8 of 18

Alright. Yeah I have written proposals outside of here but I wasn't sure on how this community worked considering it just feels like a text message. I will definitely look into more thought out proposals.

Community Leader
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
9 of 18

Your profile reads like any other graphic designer.  What makes you unique?  Put it at the top as clients see only the first few lines when they do a search.  

Don't give up... try, try, try again.  

Richard R Member Since: Jun 22, 2018
10 of 18

I had trouble as well when I first started out. I think its just a matter of sticking with it, getting good feedback on the jobs you do get and doing well in the beginning. As of now I get more requests than I could accept. Try focusing on changing key words on your profile around so you can beter rank in Upwork search. Or target a specific area of graphic design that you are good at. That way you may rank for more specific key words (less competitive). Your profile looks good. If you have anything else in your portfolio (even if not done on upwork) I would put it up. I like your portfolio but would be nice to see other projects as the two I see cover the same asthetic (which is very nice btw but a client might have a different asthetic in mind for their projects so showing you have a diverse portfolio might be good.).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS