🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I am new to Upwork - some questions about it
Page options
jinelcrimp8
Community Member

I am new to Upwork - some questions about it

Hey Guys!

I am new to Upwork and have completed my first job. It was something very little, a few translations. Now the contract is finished and we gave each other feedback. But under "setting" in the section "get paid" my balance is still 0,00$. Does it take some time to refresh? And I can't see the received feedback in my profile. How do I do that?

And can someone explain the VAT-number thing to me? I live in Germany and am just a student. Have no registrated business or so. Is it the here called "steuerliche Identifikationsnummer"? What benefits do I get when I sett this up in my account?

And how does the hourly paying for a job work? Do I HAVE TO install the upwork app and start the countdown for whenever I am working on this project? Or can i complete the project, set up my own clock and then say "it took 5 hours" and end.

3 REPLIES 3
a_lipsey
Community Member

Jinel C wrote:

Hey Guys!

I am new to Upwork and have completed my first job. It was something very little, a few translations. Now the contract is finished and we gave each other feedback. But under "setting" in the section "get paid" my balance is still 0,00$. Does it take some time to refresh? And I can't see the received feedback in my profile. How do I do that?

And can someone explain the VAT-number thing to me? I live in Germany and am just a student. Have no registrated business or so. Is it the here called "steuerliche Identifikationsnummer"? What benefits do I get when I sett this up in my account?

And how does the hourly paying for a job work? Do I HAVE TO install the upwork app and start the countdown for whenever I am working on this project? Or can i complete the project, set up my own clock and then say "it took 5 hours" and end.

Oh boy. I hope someone comes along and posts all the links. You need to read through all the how tos. 

If you are on an hourly contract, the only way to get payment protection is to install the time tracker and use it and record meaningful memos on each screenshot. Manual time is not protected. You can do as you suggested, record manual time, if the client allows it, but they can still dispute it, and clients always win disputes of manual time. It is in no way protected. The safest mode of work is an hourly contract, with the time tracker, with meaningful memos and appropriate levels of activity (mouse clicking, keyboard typing). Fixed price has some escrow protections but less security. I personally only work fixed price, but many people will say that hourly with time tracker is the best way to go, since it's hard to dispute. It often depends on your line of work and experience vetting clients. You are new, so it would be safer to use hourly contracts, IMO. 

You haven't been paid yet because it takes 5 days on fixed price gigs for funds to be available. It's a fraud precaution. 

Someone in Europe will be along to explain VAT. I believe you are responsible for it regardless of your business structure. 

Go to the Upwork FAQs and read every single article on how the site works. All of this is covered. 

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jinel,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Are you referring to another account? Could you please send me a private message with the Upwork username or registered email address so that I can check?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Weird, there is no job on your profile. Also, there is no content in your profile, so how did you ever get hired? How many accounts do you have?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths