beck-fay

I am new to upwork..I may have my first job...what are the steps after I have replied to Client

I had a proposal answered and I have replied to the client in order to answer their questions...What are the steps when I accept the job?  I need help learning the process of the best way to communicate with the client, do I keep track of my hours spent on the job, or does Upwork, and how do I get paid?  Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi

@Fay B wrote:

I had a proposal answered and I have replied to the client in order to answer their questions...What are the steps when I accept the job?  I need help learning the process of the best way to communicate with the client, do I keep track of my hours spent on the job, or does Upwork, and how do I get paid?  Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you 

I mean this in the best possible way, Fay (a poet and don't know it). It's best to read up and learn all that stuff before you start bidding on jobs. It's not as simple as you may think.

Do follow Nichola's link and read everything the site provides about how to work safely and get paid. You are a freelancer, meaning you are responsible for your own business. Upwork is not your employer and does not track your hours, you do.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis

Fay be very, very careful how you proceed, and read this thread and more before you start work on Upwork.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Fay:

If you don't see a contract listed there, don't work.

If a client is asking a bunch of questions or asking you to do various tasks, and there is no contract, then the "client" is just wasting your time. Ask the client to send you a Hire offer, and don't do any work until you have a contract.

Thank you for your help.  There are still so many things I am not sure of, but will accept any help you can give me.

Many Thanks

@Fay B wrote:

Thank you for your help.  There are still so many things I am not sure of, but will accept any help you can give me.

Many Thanks

Along with the link Nichola provided, this is another one that's good to look at, because unfortunately, newbies are targets for scammers:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

mtngigi

@Fay B wrote:

I mean this in the best possible way, Fay (a poet and don't know it). It's best to read up and learn all that stuff before you start bidding on jobs. It's not as simple as you may think.

Do follow Nichola's link and read everything the site provides about how to work safely and get paid. You are a freelancer, meaning you are responsible for your own business. Upwork is not your employer and does not track your hours, you do.