🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I am not location-restricted, however Upworks...
Page options
susiesink
Community Member

I am not location-restricted, however Upworks expects me to be?

I am based in Germany (today), but I travel all over the world for work and projects. I have found the perfect job for me but cannot view it, because I am not in the "right location". 

Thing is, I could BE in the right location tomorrow and I would like to be able to apply for roles outside of my "home" country. Can I adjust this in my settings somewhere? I have permission and visas to work in more than one country so I don't want to be restricted.  

4 REPLIES 4
2a05aa63
Community Member

I'm not sure, but I think that the location restriction is made to work with citizens of that country, so the client can have juridical power over the freelancer; or they have to work only with local freelancers. Suing someone from another country is much harder, if not impossible.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am based in Germany (today), but I travel all over the world for work and projects"

Okay..

But that is pretty much the opposite of Upwork's business model... 

which is to allow clients to hire freelancers from all over the world to work remotely from wherever they are located, without traveling.

Upwork is more "Jessica Fletcher"... not so much "Carmen Sandiego"

"which is to allow clients to hire freelancers from all over the world to work remotely from wherever they are located, without traveling".

Exactly that! I want to be able to read job / project opportunities from all over the world which I can apply for from the comfort of my home office desk regardless of location. Blocking a job because of location doesn't make sense to me? 

Can anybody help me with a specific job posting and let me read it, so I can determine if I am suitable for it? Thanks

Susie M wrote:

Exactly that! I want to be able to read job / project opportunities from all over the world which I can apply for from the comfort of my home office desk regardless of location. Blocking a job because of location doesn't make sense to me? 

This only happens when the client proactively chose to restrict the country from which they wish to accept proposals. It also only happens for the USA and UK.

It's really not up to us freelancers to say to a client: "Yes, I KNOW you restricted location, but I know much better what you want than you do!" 😉

Your location has to be set to your current country of residence, which appears to be the UK according to your profile.

That should give you access to "UK only" jobs provided you verify your UK residence.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths