Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

I am really confuse

cobos_mara
Active Member
Mara C Member Since: Feb 12, 2017
1 of 14

hi!!

I got a translation job here the 15 of march, and then i work and help them with the things they need, but in the end of MARCH i DIDNT GET PAY, so i thought that is because i have to complete the month with them but now i ask them and the company told me that UPWORk is the one that have to pay me and i am really confuse, they say as i am a translator i have a upwork that pay me.

I dont get pay and i was working the company told me to contact upwork to know what is going on. I really need help please. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 14

Were you hired?

Do you see any money in your Reports Page?

 

where is my money?where is my money?

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
BEST ANSWER
3 of 14

Hi Mara,

Do you have a contract for the translation job? I wasn't able to see a contract that corresponds to March 15th when I checked your account. You'll definitely want to make sure that you have a contract with the client before starting on any work, and also that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection.  Payments for work completed on Upwork are paid by the client through the use of a contract on Upwork.  Please also have a look at these articles about how to Get Paid for Fixed Price Contracts and Get Paid For Hourly Contracts.

~Nina

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 14

It is OKAY to jump right in and start using Upwork without reading all the directions and understanding the basics about how the tool works. But that means you will be "learning on the job," and that includes making mistakes that mean you don't get paid.

 

As long as you are willing to accept the consequences (not getting paid), then this approach is fine.

 

It is important that you learn what mistakes you made and correct those mistakes, doing things better for your next job.

 

It is also important that you do NOT try to get paid for work you did without a contract in place. Those are learning experiences. Upwork does not owe you money for that. You will not be paid for that type of thing.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 14

Note that Upwork has strict rules about profile photos. Upwork requires that each profile photo only show one person. The photo must be a real photo of the person associated with the profile.

 

Upwork does not allow profiles for more than one person. This includes translators.

 

In the past, many people have had their accounts suspended or terminated for the following reasons:

- Profile for a group, or a pair of people

- Profile photo showing somebody else - not the person named in the profile

- Profile photo showing more than one person

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 14

@Preston H wrote:

Note that Upwork has strict rules about profile photos. Upwork requires that each profile photo only show one person. The photo must be a real photo of the person associated with the profile.

 

Upwork does not allow profiles for more than one person. This includes translators.

 

In the past, many people have had their accounts suspended or terminated for the following reasons:

- Profile for a group, or a pair of people

- Profile photo showing somebody else - not the person named in the profile

- Profile photo showing more than one person


You might be surprised, Preston, to learn that the OP's photo is probably okay with Upwork. I was recently informed by a CSR that photos of people with their pets (that I had complained about) are allowed, and I quote:

 

"Some profiles with animals pictures are acceptable as long as freelancers face are clearly noticeable in the picture are according to them acceptable in the platform"

 

Regarding so many photos that in the past would never be acceptable, it seems Upwork has loosened their rules.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 14

Virginia: Thanks for your notes on this topic.

I have no idea what Upwork allows or doesn't allow right now... But Mara's photo doesn't show her with a pet. It shows her kissing a guy. Or if Mara is the guy, it shows him being kissed by a girl.

 

If I was a freelancer working in the same job niche, I would be happy to see my competitors post photos like that.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 14

@Preston H wrote:

Virginia: Thanks for your notes on this topic.

I have no idea what Upwork allows or doesn't allow right now... But Mara's photo doesn't show her with a pet. It shows her kissing a guy. Or if Mara is the guy, it shows him being kissed by a girl.

 

If I was a freelancer working in the same job niche, I would be happy to see my competitors post photos like that.


I agree. It's unprofessional and makes the rest of us look better. Photos with pets are cute, but don't belong on someone's profile.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 14

The whole profile is about two people, it is not just the photo.

There is also nothing, and I mean NOTHING about either of them being translators of any sort.

I will never understand why people who have only a rudimentary grasp of one foreign language feed the need to try their hand at translating.

 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 14

@Petra R wrote:

The whole profile is about two people, it is not just the photo.

There is also nothing, and I mean NOTHING about either of them being translators of any sort.

I will never understand why people who have only a rudimentary grasp of one foreign language feed the need to try their hand at translating.

 


Agreed and didn't mean to go off-topic. We'd all like to see Upwork be more invested in their approval processes.