🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I am really confuse
Page options
cobos_mara
Community Member

I am really confuse

hi!!

I got a translation job here the 15 of march, and then i work and help them with the things they need, but in the end of MARCH i DIDNT GET PAY, so i thought that is because i have to complete the month with them but now i ask them and the company told me that UPWORk is the one that have to pay me and i am really confuse, they say as i am a translator i have a upwork that pay me.

I dont get pay and i was working the company told me to contact upwork to know what is going on. I really need help please. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Mara,

Do you have a contract for the translation job? I wasn't able to see a contract that corresponds to March 15th when I checked your account. You'll definitely want to make sure that you have a contract with the client before starting on any work, and also that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection.  Payments for work completed on Upwork are paid by the client through the use of a contract on Upwork.  Please also have a look at these articles about how to Get Paid for Fixed Price Contracts and Get Paid For Hourly Contracts.

~Nina

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Were you hired?

Do you see any money in your Reports Page?

where is my money?where is my money?

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Mara,

Do you have a contract for the translation job? I wasn't able to see a contract that corresponds to March 15th when I checked your account. You'll definitely want to make sure that you have a contract with the client before starting on any work, and also that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection.  Payments for work completed on Upwork are paid by the client through the use of a contract on Upwork.  Please also have a look at these articles about how to Get Paid for Fixed Price Contracts and Get Paid For Hourly Contracts.

~Nina
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is OKAY to jump right in and start using Upwork without reading all the directions and understanding the basics about how the tool works. But that means you will be "learning on the job," and that includes making mistakes that mean you don't get paid.

As long as you are willing to accept the consequences (not getting paid), then this approach is fine.

It is important that you learn what mistakes you made and correct those mistakes, doing things better for your next job.

It is also important that you do NOT try to get paid for work you did without a contract in place. Those are learning experiences. Upwork does not owe you money for that. You will not be paid for that type of thing.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Note that Upwork has strict rules about profile photos. Upwork requires that each profile photo only show one person. The photo must be a real photo of the person associated with the profile.

Upwork does not allow profiles for more than one person. This includes translators.

In the past, many people have had their accounts suspended or terminated for the following reasons:

- Profile for a group, or a pair of people

- Profile photo showing somebody else - not the person named in the profile

- Profile photo showing more than one person

@Preston H wrote:

Note that Upwork has strict rules about profile photos. Upwork requires that each profile photo only show one person. The photo must be a real photo of the person associated with the profile.

Upwork does not allow profiles for more than one person. This includes translators.

In the past, many people have had their accounts suspended or terminated for the following reasons:

- Profile for a group, or a pair of people

- Profile photo showing somebody else - not the person named in the profile

- Profile photo showing more than one person

You might be surprised, Preston, to learn that the OP's photo is probably okay with Upwork. I was recently informed by a CSR that photos of people with their pets (that I had complained about) are allowed, and I quote:

"Some profiles with animals pictures are acceptable as long as freelancers face are clearly noticeable in the picture are according to them acceptable in the platform"

Regarding so many photos that in the past would never be acceptable, it seems Upwork has loosened their rules.

Virginia: Thanks for your notes on this topic.

I have no idea what Upwork allows or doesn't allow right now... But Mara's photo doesn't show her with a pet. It shows her kissing a guy. Or if Mara is the guy, it shows him being kissed by a girl.

If I was a freelancer working in the same job niche, I would be happy to see my competitors post photos like that.

@Preston H wrote:

Virginia: Thanks for your notes on this topic.

I have no idea what Upwork allows or doesn't allow right now... But Mara's photo doesn't show her with a pet. It shows her kissing a guy. Or if Mara is the guy, it shows him being kissed by a girl.

If I was a freelancer working in the same job niche, I would be happy to see my competitors post photos like that.

I agree. It's unprofessional and makes the rest of us look better. Photos with pets are cute, but don't belong on someone's profile.

The whole profile is about two people, it is not just the photo.

There is also nothing, and I mean NOTHING about either of them being translators of any sort.

I will never understand why people who have only a rudimentary grasp of one foreign language feed the need to try their hand at translating.

mtngigi
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

The whole profile is about two people, it is not just the photo.

There is also nothing, and I mean NOTHING about either of them being translators of any sort.

I will never understand why people who have only a rudimentary grasp of one foreign language feed the need to try their hand at translating.

Agreed and didn't mean to go off-topic. We'd all like to see Upwork be more invested in their approval processes.

kat303
Community Member

and POOF!! another profile bites the dust.

mtngigi
Community Member

@Kathy T wrote:

It's nice when it works, isn't it?

petra_r
Community Member

@Virginia F wrote:

@Kathy T wrote:

It's nice when it works, isn't it?

It was set to private literally minutes after flagging.

The reaction time to flagging has become phenomenal compared to what it used to be. It used to take hours, if not days, if anything was done at all.

purplepony
Community Member

Mara, I'm really confused too.  What really confuses me is when anyone attempts to utilize this platform (Upwork) without learning how it works.  There's an absolute abundance of information regarding this for Freelancers and Clients.  All one has to do is read, view...  Yes, it does take time to do so which should be considered to be an investment in one's self and one's future. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths