cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I believe ive been scammed by someone who is doing money laundering please help

Arturo B Member Since: Jun 26, 2017
1 of 25

I was contacted by this client:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I did and he then "hired" me without any contract or anything, he asked me for an official ID (passport), and he sent me his so i believed this to be an official job.

After that he asked if i have paypal account and stuff so he could "pay" me. I said yes and we continued on the "hiring process" however with no documents signed what so ever.

Later on i received a deposit to my paypal account for $727.60 USD from an unknown sender and was instructed to remove it from pay pal and send it to my personal bank account.

I did, thinking it was my first payment in advance. However, later on i got an email requesting to send that money to China and i dont trust this guy anymore. I believe this is money laundering or tax evation which i dont want any part of.

What should i do next, this is my first job as an Upwork guy and i need someone to help me out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
2 of 25

So you broke Upwork's rules by accepting payment off-platform. Why are you here admitting it?

3 of 25

This is my first job in Upwork i had no idea this was not normal procedure thats why im externing this out through here.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 25

@Arturo B wrote:

This is my first job in Upwork i had no idea this was not normal procedure thats why im externing this out through here.

When you signed up you agreed to the ToS, which states that you cannot take payment off platform. My guess is you should reject the PayPal payment, report the client, but be prepared to have your account suspended too. It might and it might not happen, but it's a good possibility. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
5 of 25

Nobody reads the agreements come on! 

I didnt know this was normal or not normal. I thought i was getting hired for a job. Now i have this guys money in my bank account and i dont want anything to do with this.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 25

@Arturo B wrote:

I didnt know this was normal or not normal. I thought i was getting hired for a job. Now i have this guys money in my bank account and i dont want anything to do with this.

Uh, I did, and I've never been scammed. I can spot the scam within minutes, sometimes even seconds, because I read the rules of the site and the help information before I started applying or replying to invitations because I'm running my own business and I'm not going to get into an agreement without reading it first. 

Don't apply to anything else or accept any interview until you go through the site and learn how it works.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 25

@Arturo B wrote:

When you created an account, I'm pretty sure there was a form like this:

create.png

If you don't click all those green links and read the rules before creating an account, then there's really no one to blame but yourself if you disobey a rule and bad things happen.

8 of 25

@Arturo B wrote:

You're perfectly right, and this is what happens.

Ace Contributor
Selena B Member Since: Jun 2, 2017
9 of 25

Please tell me you didn't give this person your passport information

10 of 25

I did, i didnt know this wasnt standard procedure before a contract hiring, what shall i do next!?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS