cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I believe ive been scammed by someone who is doing money laundering please help

Arturo B Member Since: Jun 26, 2017
21 of 25

You might think this is a simple scam and it is most definitively not.

I got a "real" passport copy from the person hiring, a "company" number and address as well as paypal deposit & 10+ emails regarding the job description

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 25

@Arturo B wrote:

You might think this is a simple scam and it is most definitively not.

I got a "real" passport copy from the person hiring, a "company" number and address as well as paypal deposit & 10+ emails regarding the job description

IMMEDIATELY send the money back to your PayPal account and REFUND IT

It is almost certainly stolen from a hacked PayPal account. Do that NOW.

And of couse you did not get the "real" passport copy of "the hiring person." You got a copy of the passport of some other dimwit who sent a copy of their passport to a scammer. Why do you think they wanted a copy of your pasport, and how many others do you think will be sent a copy of YOUR passport thinking YOU sent them the stolen money?

23 of 25

i will do so right away

24 of 25

you are mostly right! thank you for your advice!

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
25 of 25

@Arturo B wrote:

I was contacted by this client:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I did and he then "hired" me without any contract or anything, he asked me for an official ID (passport), and he sent me his so i believed this to be an official job.

After that he asked if i have paypal account and stuff so he could "pay" me. I said yes and we continued on the "hiring process" however with no documents signed what so ever.

Later on i received a deposit to my paypal account for $727.60 USD from an unknown sender and was instructed to remove it from pay pal and send it to my personal bank account.

I did, thinking it was my first payment in advance. However, later on i got an email requesting to send that money to China and i dont trust this guy anymore. I believe this is money laundering or tax evation which i dont want any part of.

What should i do next, this is my first job as an Upwork guy and i need someone to help me out.

Arturo - There are about 6 scams on there, and they are used over and over again.

1. not receiving a contract from the client, only their word of mouth saying "you're hired."

2. Paying for a laptop or other equipment or paying any fees, registration, tax, or paying a client anything.

3 Asking for personal information

4 Paying outside of this site directly into your credit card/bank account/PayPal account.

5 Receiving a check and being told to send the excess to a vendor, orphanage, or in your case, to China.

6. Not having escrow fully funded BEFORE working.

And you've fallen for 4 of the 6.

This is a stranger from probably another country that you just met on the internet. What proof did you have that the passport image you received was REALLY theirs?

He hired you without a contract - So you Knew you had to have a contract before working. Why did you start working without one?

He gave you (quoted on another of your posts) his company name and phone number. Do you know how easy it is to google a company and get the company's phone number?

You ask at the end of your post, What should I do next? DEFINITELY stop looking for a job and take some time to find out how this site works, the in's and out's, the procedures, the scams, and the TOS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS