🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I believe this is a scam..
Page options
mraber7408
Community Member

I believe this is a scam..

So I am new to the Upwork site. I had sent a proposal to the one job for transcription and typing and someone did respond back to me requesting my personal cell number to speak to me in regards to the position. He went on to say that he was going to send me a check to cover all equipment plus $400 for the first week of work!!?? This just sounds extremely suspicious and unheard of. Am I correct here thinking that this is definitely a scam?
3 REPLIES 3
katrinabeaver
Community Member

Yep, one of the oldest scams in the book. Take it from another fellow transcriptionist..  It is a scam.  All payments go through Upwork.  No checks for software. Report it and move on

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
lionsneil
Community Member

It definitely seems fishy!  When I have encountered responses that sound iffy, I usually thank them and end communication.

Nothing about that interaction falls within the Upwork guidelines, so even if it's a "legitimate" offer, you are both in violation of the terms of Upwork.  Try to keep your communication and transactions on this site.  In addition to keeping your account in good standing, you'll have additional protection to ensure you get paid, and a record of all of your jobs and interactions with clients (or potential clients).

Steer clear!  Keep applying for projects that have more in-depth descriptions.  It's hard to pass up an offer that seems lucrative, but even if you end up getting paid, it's often not worth the hassle of dealing with those clients.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Miranda, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. As others have noted, this is a known scam, and I would recommend that you flag the client's job post so that actions can be taken against the client and his job post. 

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths