🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I can't get any work. Is my portfolio gar...
Page options
david_giarratana
Community Member

I can't get any work. Is my portfolio garbage? My description? My cover letters?

I'm very frustrated. I apply to job after job and never get a response. I really need advice. I can't tell if the work in my portfolio is trash or gold, anymore. I could really use some no-holds-barred, tough-love feedback. Am I tilting at windmills, here? Please, anyone, take a look at my profile and let me know what I am doing wrong: **Edited for community guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
iosisrecords
Community Member

David,

Just by random chance I happened to read your post, and it appears you have skills that I am in need of hiring.

I have a t-shirt I'd like to get printed, and will need some modification to the artwork before silk screening.  Would also like to have a post designed from the same artwork, so contact me however this system will permit (you are the first person I have attempted to contact through Upwork).

Robert **Edited for community guidelines**

Hello Robert,

I just checked your account and I can see that you have created a freelancer account. You need to have a client account in order to hire a freelancer for your Job. You can be a client and a freelancer using the same account. Simply read this article for more information.

Meanwhile, please go through this Help Article and find out how to make an offer and hire a Freelancer. You can post a job, verify your payment method, review proposals you receive, send an offer and hire a freelancer to complete this work for you, and process the payment as explained here. I'd also strongly recommend you to review the client resources we shared here. Let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

To Robert: I am thrilled beyond measure to hear that! Please, once you have a client account, get in touch with me! I'm sure we can come up with something brilliant.

To Bojan (beautiful name, by the way): I really appreciate these resources, and I have already gleaned some useful information from them. However, it seems that the information is either outdated or intended for premium account holders (e.g., using the client's name in the first paragraph of a cover letter, something I hadn't considered, but is impossible as I cannot see the potential client's name in the job posting). I appreciate these materials, and I will pore over them and take notes, but my anxiety would be assuaged more by specific critiques of my profile and portfolio. If there is anything I can do better in these areas, I could really use the advice. Thank you!

Oh, also: I notice that my original post was edited for community guidelines. I certainly wish to follow these guidelines, but I can't remember what I originally wrote. Would you mind terribly informing me of which guidelines I transgressed so I might avoid doing do in the future?

Hi David, 

I really can't say anything on your profile, just one small clarification: nobody can see the clients name on the job posting, the suggestion was to scroll down the clients feedback from freelancers and hope to find his name there, so that you can adress him directly. 

Oh! I get it now. Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

I can understand that it can be really hard not winning jobs like you expect to.  You can update your profile and edit your profile overview, expand it with your new skills and experiences. Take a few tests to showcase the new skills you have acquired. You may want to consider checking out these helpful blog articles to help you write winning proposals, improve your profile and tips on how to be successful on Upwork. We could advise you to submit proposals only for jobs you are sure to have the required skills set and experience for. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths