🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I can’t tell if this is a scam or not.
Page options
f990ea3f
Community Member

I can’t tell if this is a scam or not.

Hello, I am new to Upwork and am a creative freelancer. I recently applied for a Proof Reading and Editing job. I was messaged back and told to add an e-mail on Skype to proceed with the interview. The interview consisted of filling out a sheet of paper and sending it back. After being sent a contract for $2,000, the job listing was removed. Also, the company says they will send me a laptop. They haven’t asked for any personal information. Is this a scam? How do I find out?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tess,

I checked the job post you were referring to and it seems that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
bundie702
Community Member

This is the usual criteria to recognize editing scams: 1) Full of misspellings, bad grammar, incorrect capitalization and/or punctuation, 2) needs to hire multiple people, never just one, 3) just joined Upwork on the current date with zero hiring history, 4) offers a high pay rate, even for entry level freelancers, 5) often claims to be about to "launch" a new product or service.

Likely applicants will be asked to interview on Google Hangouts...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths