🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: I can't use the site
Page options
eidson_rob
Community Member

I can't use the site

I'm trying to understand how to use this site. I created an account to just look around.  But, it keeps asking me for all types of private information like work history, phone number, etc.

I just want to try to get a ballpark estimate of how much it would cost to hire an editor to help me with some writing.  I thought I could do this by just looking around and not bothering anyone. But, this site is extremely confusing and hard to use for me.

Thanks for any guidance. Also, any suggestions for alternative sites to Upwork that might be easier to use would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
pudingstudio
Community Member

Rob E wrote:

I'm trying to understand how to use this site. I created an account to just look around.  But, it keeps asking me for all types of private information like work history, phone number, etc.

I just want to try to get a ballpark estimate of how much it would cost to hire an editor to help me with some writing.  I thought I could do this by just looking around and not bothering anyone. But, this site is extremely confusing and hard to use for me.

Thanks for any guidance. Also, any suggestions for alternative sites to Upwork that might be easier to use would be greatly appreciated.

Are you looking to hire or to work?
Have you created profile as a freelancer or a client?

colettelewis
Community Member

Rob E wrote:

Try the help pages for new clients. Also have a look here: 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063528-Find-Freelancers-and-Agencies

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rob,

I just checked your account and I can see that you have created a Freelancer account. You need to have a Client account in order to post a job and hire a Freelancer for your Job. You can be a Client and a Freelancer using the same account.  To create a Client account on your current account, please go to your account settings and select My Teams tab on the left. Once you do, please select Create New Account button and you should be able to add a client account to your existing account. You'll then be able to easily switch between the two accounts under the same login and hire freelancers. Check out this help article for more information.

Meanwhile, please check out this thread and these helpful resources to give you an idea on how to get started. Please choose the closest category in posting the project you wish to post. Define your project with details like goals, deliverables, deadlines, and budget so freelancers can submit competitive proposals. You can also search for qualified freelancers and invite them to submit proposals.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
robbie-b
Community Member

Rob E wrote:

Yup. And it'll keep on doing it until you're comfy enough to plug your card details in lol 

For what you're want to sniff out, you'll get an editor for any budget. 

https://www.upwork.com/hire/editors/

How good they are, depends on your talent for picking them. Anyone you're interested in working with, you can scroll down, see the reviews and sometimes be able to see how much they were paid for a job but that depends if the freelancer has their earnings public. 

If there's a rating under five, click it and you'll see a popup that tells you the six items they were rated on. Ratings include skills, quality, availability, deadlines, communication, cooperation. 

You could see a rating of 4.5, which might have been a client a bit disappointed that decent changes were made, but would've preferred to be consulted before they did it. 

There's a way to list jobs privately and only invite people you've shortlisted. I don't how that works. (I'm here freelancing). Just that it's a time saver for some, helping to prevent their inboxes being flooded with applications. 

I'd have a look at the hire pages for the category you're interested in, play around the filters and see if it's worth forking over data before hiring. 

If you find a decent talent pool you'd like to open discussions with to find out their rates, you'll want to go through this

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-clients/attracting-the-best-freelancers-with-a-complete-client-acc...

Because freelancers are dubious about working with new clients with unverified payment details. 

There's also the client help section here

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-clients/

Hope that helps. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths