🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I'd like some help to get my first hire
Page options
94a96f05
Community Member

I'd like some help to get my first hire

Hello Fellows,

I'm totally new here as a freelancer and I'd like your help and advice to get my first hire, I'm willing to offer free hours at first until I get reviews, is this a good approach?

Also, is it by any chance you can check my profile and give me some advice on what to do next?

Please also check if my proposal is okay and professional or should I consider another way:

"I'm Bannora from Egypt, I'm an entrepreneur and a Customer Experience Professional, soon I'll be starting a startup for hiring personalized Virtual Assistants based in Egypt, so I and my cofounder are dedicating at least 3 months each to take the role of the virtual assistant and fully immerse ourselves with it, so I can figure out the ins and outs of the job, I've had several positions in the past that's very relevant to the tasks here as well as I've been deep-diving and researching the job for a couple of months and offered to help different friends with their administration and now I'm looking to do it more seriously, I'm approaching this differently, I'm willing to push the limits of a VA job as mentioned in my profile to have a strong value proposition to our startup, understand all the issues that may come up and also know what it'd take for our future VAs to strive, in short, there's no limit on what I'll be doing I can take part in almost anything as long as it's legal.

I hope you would check my profile on LinkedIn as well as here on Upwork to know what to expect.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Looking forward to collaborating with you"

1 REPLY 1
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Abdelrahman B wrote:

Hello Fellows,

I'm totally new here as a freelancer and I'd like your help and advice to get my first hire, I'm willing to offer free hours at first until I get reviews, is this a good approach?

Also, is it by any chance you can check my profile and give me some advice on what to do next?

Please also check if my proposal is okay and professional or should I consider another way:

"I'm Bannora from Egypt, I'm an entrepreneur and a Customer Experience Professional, soon I'll be starting a startup for hiring personalized Virtual Assistants based in Egypt, so I and my cofounder are dedicating at least 3 months each to take the role of the virtual assistant and fully immerse ourselves with it, so I can figure out the ins and outs of the job, I've had several positions in the past that's very relevant to the tasks here as well as I've been deep-diving and researching the job for a couple of months and offered to help different friends with their administration and now I'm looking to do it more seriously, I'm approaching this differently, I'm willing to push the limits of a VA job as mentioned in my profile to have a strong value proposition to our startup, understand all the issues that may come up and also know what it'd take for our future VAs to strive, in short, there's no limit on what I'll be doing I can take part in almost anything as long as it's legal.

I hope you would check my profile on LinkedIn as well as here on Upwork to know what to expect.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Looking forward to collaborating with you"

Well, a lot to unpack here. 

1. Never offer free work. Never. First of all, it makes you look desperate, and secondly, you don't get feedback if you are not hired or work for free.

2. Never offer to be available any time. It's unrealistic and makes you look desperate.

3. Your proposal letter is too long, lacks punctuation, and is only about you. Nobody will read this whole thing. 

4. Your rate is quite high for the skills you offer. Research other freelancers offering the same skills and learn from their profiles and rate range. 

5. Are you offering to work for free for 3 months? You are seeming to imply that. Don't. 

6. You can't have a business partner unless you are an agency. Take out all references to that. Your profile can only represent yourself, and nobody else, and only you can deliver the work. 

Before you start writing proposals, rework your profile and your approach. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths