cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I did not press any refund button, but I received an email saying I refunded money to a client.

cvcero
Mark K Member Since: Mar 18, 2018
11 of 18

When I started this thread, the client paid me for the 1st week of work. It is only on the 2nd week, when the client has not paid me yet, then Upwork come to review, and decided to do the refund on my behalf by reviewing on my 1st week, and intended to deduct the earning that I have made in the 1st week. Understand now?

Now the client has paid my 2nd week of work(happened 10+ hours ago). And Upwork has deducted my pay through the refund.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 18

Hi Mark, 

I'm sorry but I think you misunderstood. On your ticket, the team noted the dates for which they client's payment was unsuccessful. The team reviewed your Work Diary, and reversed that funds for hours logged that did not meet criteria for Upwork's Hourly Protection policy. I hope this clarifies it for you.

~ Avery
Upwork
cvcero
13 of 18

Alright.
I apologize if there's any misuse of wordings among my replies.

Overall it is the matter of wordings--
*All refers to my previous replies.
1) "...when the client has not paid me yet, then Upwork come to review..." = "the team noted the dates for which they client's payment was unsuccessful. The team reviewed your Work Diary..."

2) "refund" = "reversed that funds for hours logged that did not meet criteria for Upwork's Hourly Protection policy." I used the word "refund" as it is stated by Upwork under my history.

But the fact is, the hours the Upwork team checked on and claimed them as "did not meet the criteria" belong to the week whereby the client have fully paid me. Both parties were satisfied at that time. But now I am very disconcerting and unhappy.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 18

No.

The client did *NOT* pay. That is the whole point.

**CLIENT DID NOT PAY!**

It just looked like that on your Reports while Upwork tried to make the client pay.

Have you spoken to the client?

You can avoid this happening again by making sure your hours qualify for protection, such as adequate activity levels, meaningful memos (always) and so on.

cvcero
15 of 18

I think you should re-read my replies and understand the sequence of events.

If upwork has doubt on my work, then upwork should go after the hour of work that the client did not pay, not the  hour of work that has already been paid. It's the client "unsuccessful payment"/"did not pay yet" in the ***2ND WEEK*** that triggered Upwork to judge my work and timelog of ***MY 1ST AND PAID WEEK***, and make the "reverse funding"/"refund on my behalf" FROM MY 1ST WEEK.

This is disconcerting- If I have worked for 10 weeks, and only till the 11th week the client stopped the paying, is upwork going to check on all 10 weeks and make such "refund" for all 10 weeks? This is worse than working in office.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 18

It goes like this:

You work a whole week, all right?

Then the Monday afterwards the client is charged.

It the charge does not go through, Upwork try again and only after several attempts fail, puts the contract on hold, so you may be on the second work week.

Then they look at the work diary of the first (!) week (even though you are at the end of the second week, workwise) to check.

The reversal then happens just before the funds move from pending to available (Tusday-ish of the third week in the sequence)

So you may "think" you ´"were paid" for the first week but you really weren't because Upwork didn't actually GET that money (and likely not the money for the second week either, so the whole process may repeat itself...

That is how it "usually goes down" anyway, clearly I don't know what exactly happened in your particular case...

cvcero
17 of 18

I just realized Upwork have covered up the payment that the client failed to pay.

I am both embarrassed and gracious to what had happened.

Thank you very much for the Upwork team and the service provided!

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
18 of 18

@Mark K wrote:

Firstly, thank you for answering--
HOWEVER, since you have read what I have stated "paused for a while", don't you read I have also stated that I did not key in any manual time? So this does not apply onto me.

No, because you edited that into your post after I replied. It was also not clear from your original posts that this was an hourly contract and not a fixed-price.

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 12.28.55 PM.png