🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: how do I verify phone number when it is a...
Page options
danielle_kress
Community Member

I didn't receive a text message verification code

**Edited to Update - this thread has been closed from further replies due to its size.**

I pushed the verify phone number button and have yet to receive my verication code. Will someone from the admin team please contact me. 

2,981 REPLIES 2,981
paul_welzel
Community Member

I also do not have a cell phone. How do I get a verification code to complete my profile?

Hi Paul,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your request.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
kennythompson
Community Member

I am attempting to open my accout but all of the phone numbers that I have attempted to use are being rejected instantly with a message of "You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number."

It doesn't matter what number I used. It fails upon clicking.

What can  do to fix this?

Kenny T wrote:

I am attempting to open my accout but all of the phone numbers that I have attempted to use are being rejected instantly with a message of "You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number."

It doesn't matter what number I used. It fails upon clicking.

Are those proper phones (not some online number?)

Are you actually currently located where your profile claims you are? (USA)

I am in the Phillipines currently. I run a business out here. 

However, I can't change anthing related to my address or counrty.  

I have tried going through a my US VPN as well. Nothing works.

I also understand that you need to register as an american for tax reasons. Although I'd be happy to go another route....

My parent will give me the code if it would send one to their phone.

I really don't care where at says I am located. I just wanna get the account open.

It appears to be impossilbe.

Kenny T wrote:

I am in the Phillipines currently. I run a business out here. 

I have tried going through a my US VPN as well. Nothing works.

I also understand that you need to register as an american for tax reasons. Although I'd be happy to go another route....

My parent will give me the code if it would send one to their phone.

If you live in the Philippines you must have your profile honestly reflect that fact. You can't pretend to be in the USA when you really aren't.  That is the whole point of the verification process. So trying to find ways to cheat the system will only see you banned from the platform.

If you want to have your location changed to where you are really located, Support can do that for you.

Hi Kenny, 

The team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
nepalkushal2
Community Member

I recently had my account closed because it was suspended for some reason and wanted to create a new account with the same email. 

Now, I can create a new account with the email but my phone number that was used on the old account can't be used on the new one I created. 

I'm stuck on the account setup faze because of that reason. 

Any way someone from the inside could get rid of my number from the system? 

Thanks! 

You can only have one account, you need to close whatever second account you have created, and try to unsuspended the first one.

Hi Kushal,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
michelle_edits
Community Member

Hello, 

To activiate my profile I need the texted verification code. The screen pops up to allow me to enter my phone number, and I do, but I can click "Verify phone number" button all day and it still will not actually take the number to send the code. Can you please help? 

Hi Michelle,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly and assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
rachelfreeman
Community Member

Hi there! I just signed up and have filled out my profile, but I have not received a verification text on my phone. I tried resending several times, but I still have not gotten one. Please advise! Thanks!

Hi, Rachel F!

It doesn't look like phone verification is currently required for your account. You'll be notified if it's necessary but at this point, you can continue working on Upwork as usual.

Have a great day!

Good Luck 🙂 

Thank you! So just want to check: am I just in the phase where I'm waiting
for possible approval? It doesn't appear I'm able to do anything on the
site until my profile is complete, the last step of which appears to be the
phone verification.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
tmgresh
Community Member

Hello,

I'm not receiving my verification text message.

Thank you,

Thomas

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Thomas.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
tmgresh
Community Member

When should I be expecting someone to reach out to me?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thomas, 

I apologise for the delay. I have followed up with the Customer Support Team and they will reach out to you through an email soon.

~ Avery
Upwork
hgbrown13
Community Member

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I cannot establish my security phone number and, in turn, cannot move forward in setting up my profile. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Howard.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
kassof_mark
Community Member

I'm doing everything and keep trying to get the text verification. i enter my cell number and click on the green box andd...NOTHING HAPPENS!

Please help!

Hi Mark,

I just checked this for you and it looks like your phone verification process was successfully completed. 

May you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
gis_chris
Community Member

Someone help me get past the phone verification. I entered my correct number but Upwork won't accept it.  I am stuck on the section that looks like this.....

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christopher,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
katie_nehf
Community Member

I've completed my profile and submitted my phone number to receive a text message verification code, but haven't received anything. Can a support member please help?

Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jill and Katie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your concerns.

~ Bojan
Upwork
kariolsen15
Community Member

how do I verify phone number when it is a land line?

Hi Kari,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
iksinjo
Community Member

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing good : )

Since the beginning of this year i've been working on a full time (8 hours per day) long-term contract which gets renewed every three months, therefore i haven't really submitted any proposals.

Few days ago, i saw an interesting fixed-price job which I wanted to submit a proposal to and then i got prompted with the phone verification window, even though i added my phone number quite some time ago. I clicked on Text Me button, but the code never arrived, i clicked 2 or 3 times, then i clicked on Call Me button, and got prompted with the error message saying i tried to verify my phone number too many times and that i need to contact the support. (See the screenshot below)
I tried two or three times max, because i didn't receive any code.

I opened a ticket and the support lady told me it requires further technical analysis, it looks like it's a bug caused by a recent issue they had in the backend.

When i asked about ETA, she told me there isn't any.

My question is, has anyone experienced the same and if so, how long did you want until it got fixed? Right now, i cannot submit any proposal because i face the same verification window and error message every single time.

error.JPG

Cheers

Nikola

Hi Nikola,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you have an open ticket regarding your Phone Verification issue. Kindly allow our team time to carefully review your request. You will be notified of their response.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar : )

Yep, i do have an open ticket, but my idea behind opening this thread was actually to get someone's opinion/thought/shared experience on what exactly caused it, and how long i should wait. I am not able to send the proposals because and support is not telling me for how long it will impact me, will it take days/weeks/months to get the issue resolved? : )

Cheers

Nikola

Hi Aleksandar,

it's been more than 11 days, and i'm not able to submit any proposals. Can we have someone look into this one?
Thank you

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nikola,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your request.

~ Bojan
Upwork
sarpotd
Community Member

Trying to create a profile. I do not get text messages on my phone. How should I proceed. It does not allow me to proceed until I validate my phone #. Why can't the system just voice call me?

amedeiros0920
Community Member

I am trying to finish my profile but when it asks for my phone number it says that it is already in use. 

Hi Nik and Andrew,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support tickets to assist you with your verification processes.

~ Bojan
Upwork
1seanb
Community Member

Can someone help me?  Not receiving my 5 digit text code,

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sean.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths