🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I am not receiving a phone verification text,...
Page options
danielle_kress
Community Member

I didn't receive a text message verification code

**Edited to Update - this thread has been closed from further replies due to its size.**

I pushed the verify phone number button and have yet to receive my verication code. Will someone from the admin team please contact me. 

2,981 REPLIES 2,981
enmbarrett
Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to create my profile and when it prompts me to enter my phone number for profile verification nothing happens. I'm tried on several devices and several browsers.  

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nathan, 

The team will reach out to you to assist you with your phone verification by reaching out to you directly. I apologise for the inconvenience.

~ Avery
Upwork
garnet99
Community Member

When setting up my account - the phone number verification is saying that my number is currently in use

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Luke,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I just checked your account and looks like your phone number was successfully set up and verified. 

May you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mechellek
Community Member

I am having the same problem when I try to create my profile.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mechelle,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
evans_megan
Community Member

Hello, 

I am having an issue with verifying my phone number as well. I have cleared my cache and cookies, tried using a different browser, and removed and re-added my phone number before attempting to generate the code again, but none of it is working. 

Thank you for any help. 

Hi Megan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jayswal-mark
Community Member

When I try to create my account and it prompts me for a phone number, clicking "Verify Phone Number" does nothing. I can see an error in Chrome's Console each time I click the button, there is a JSON file trying to load that throws a 400 error.

Hi Mark,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ellenslt
Community Member

I have just tried to set up my account with upwork and have gotten to the phone number verification stage. I live in the UK but have an irish phone number. The system will now only let me put in a UK phone number starting with +44. How can i fix this so that I can put my irish +353 number in? 

thanks for help in advance! 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ellen,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your request.

~ Bojan
Upwork
camelliaz
Community Member

I was creating a profile and asked to provide a phone number in a popup window. I put in my 10-digit number (with and without "1"  at the beginning) then clicked on the "verify phone number" button.

NOTHING happened. No error message. No text message to the phone. No email.

Which can be frustrating.  Please help. Appriciate it greatly!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Camellia.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
miralm
Community Member

Hi, I'm unable to receive texts to my UK phone number, is there another way to complete profile sign up?

Hi Mira,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
dividom
Community Member

Im trying to register with upwork. But the location is fixed in the UK. I only have a Mexican number so to verify the account it asks me for a UK number. Can I change it to a Mexican number so I can get verified?

Hi Dominic,

I've shared your concern with the team and one of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

I'm having the same problem as everyone else on this thread. When I hit the confirm button for my phone number, the page just hangs there and I don't get a text message. Tried on a different browser and confirmed my phone is receiving texts

Hi Max,

I`m sorry about the incovience this had caused you.
One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Cool, what ticket? How are you going to reach out to me? 

Hi Max,

You can access your ticket section on this Link, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
raden1
Community Member

No matter what computer, browser or phone number I use, I cannot hit the "verify phone number" button after I put it in.

I click it and nothing happens, it doesn't even seem to register that the click happened.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Daniel.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
courtneyech
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to get my phone number verified, but I am not receiving any texts with the 5 digit code. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Courtney,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
andrewries
Community Member

“You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number.”

When I attempt to input my current number, I receive the same error above. I have tried clearing my cache, cookies, and using a different browser. Thanks in advance for the help!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew,

One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification number.

~ Bojan
Upwork
gseigel
Community Member

I have the same issue with a phone that does not receive texts (voice only).  Please advise.  Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gail,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly and assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jesica-watson
Community Member

I haven’t received my verification code for starting my profile and I’ve resent the code max amount of times and still nothing... help!

Hi Jesica,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly with your phone verification process. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
hayatlife
Community Member

Hello, I've read that many people here have had this problem before.. I'm currently stuck on the phone verification page after I created my profile. I made sure to follow instructions and my phone number is a functional us based number. The button on that page don't click and I can only go back. I won't receive anything and I can't bypass the page. Please help!
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Hayat.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
jase_mcgrady
Community Member

I recently set up an account on UpWork and it asked for my phone number for verification, but it told me that it's being used by another account! I don't ever recall setting up an account before. Can anyone please help me get past this problem?

UPDATE: Nevermind.. I had a duplicate account. I delete it  so the problem is fixed.

I recently signed up to Upwork and I have yet to receive a verification code. Could someone please assist me on getting the code and setting up my account? Thank you.

Hi Elyse,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
anstickney
Community Member

I tried to create a profile, got to the phone verification and it says my number is already in use. There are no steps to reset a number, or contact tech support to help with that. I've never had an account before. The only message about it has a broken link to 'create a ticket'. I can't do that. 

I tried to delete the entire account, even if it is a scam and they have all my personal information and I can't do that becasue I never fully created my profile because my number couldn't be verified. 

re: "Is this even real or did I just give a scam my address?"

You're asking if Upwork is a scam?

No. It is not a scam.

You got to a step where it asked for phone verification, and you found that your current phone number was said to be "already in use"?

Yes. That happens on rare occasions.

This happens for one of two possible reasons:

a) You have previously used this site, or a predecessor version of this site (such as oDesk).

[or]

b) Another person had an account. That person at that time had the same phone number that you have now.

re: "I tried to delete the entire account..."

That is not easily done at this point.

If you want to continue using Upwork, you will need to work with Customer Support in order to resolve the phone number issue. If you no longer want to use Upwork, then just remove any information you entered, and stop going to the Upwork.com site. Nothing bad will happen to you. If somebody else had your phone number once upon a time, and used it to create an account, then the account in question has THEIR personal information. Not yours. So it has nothing to do with you.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ashley.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths