🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I didn't receive a text message verification ...
Page options
danielle_kress
Community Member

I didn't receive a text message verification code

**Edited to Update - this thread has been closed from further replies due to its size.**

I pushed the verify phone number button and have yet to receive my verication code. Will someone from the admin team please contact me. 

2,981 REPLIES 2,981
eilidh19
Community Member

Hi, 

I'm new to Upwork but can't seem to validate my number. I have requested it several times and waited with nothing coming through. Please could someone contact me. Thanks

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eilidh,

One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification pšrocess.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

"You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number."

I can't pass from here. I need some help.

Hi Jessica, and Enmar,

Jessica, one of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Enmar, one of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

When I finished my profile and on clicking continue

I get the following:

Set a security phone numberWhere would you like to receive your verification code?

I entered my mobile number and yet didn't receive a text or anything, nothing happened as if I never clicked, so I clicked again... NOTHING... ok third times a charm... NOPE.

So I loaded up the debugger and see an error, 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hmmm, "**Edited for Community Guidelines**", 

ok well it only accepts numbers so I can't use space or pluses or brackets

let's try my number starting with a 

an 0 - nope.

what about a 44 - nope.

okay 044 - nope.

so... no UK numbers allowed?

I opened a Support Ticket and gave all of the details,

I get the reply

So with the details added to the ticket, now just need to wait for a call and it should be resolved... right?

NOPE

I got a reply

I uploaded the har file and screenshots.. *same details.. again) then tested again in incognito mode to my surprise this ...... did NOT work at all.

ok, it wasn't surprised.

So what was the next advice is given?.. the solution to this bug, well its been a few days and nothing so far.

anyone here managed to solve this ?

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Yes, I see the response and that despite the fact this problem has been ongoing for a few years now,

no solution is available, this thread alone has been open since "Jan 17, 2018"

But we get the reply

"In order to properly help you, I need to do some additional research. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I have more information to share."

So far I haven't seen a solution without a moderator getting involved.

I wonder if you will also remove the above quote as well

Well, it seems the "technical support team" wants to see what number I used.. if only I had supplied that information, in the ticket 4 times or in har file or maybe even in a screenshot.

Oh yes, 6 times I have given this vital piece of data that they now need me to send them!.

Hi Richard, 

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly. 

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

It seems that you need to select your country code in the phone number field for it t work. well, that's what the tech support is reporting... 

would be nice to know if they even looked at the screenshot they asked for as YOUR CAN'T SELECT THE COUNTRY CODE.

I wonder how many people don't register because of this bug in their system.

jessica-tague
Community Member

This is the second time I have attempted to join Upwork. This exact issue occured the first time as well, and I gave up. I decided to try again - still no luck. I cannot submit my profile for approval because the "Verify Phone Number" button within the lightbox, does not work. I enter my phone number, the button turns green, but it does not submit anything - I do not get a text. I can't seem to get past this stage. Last time I was told to clear cache/cookies and try another browser, or to try through incogneto mode. I did all of this - still - does not work. 

I do not want someone else to tell me to clear my cache, I have done this several times and it doesn't change the issue. Is there another way to verify my phone number? Are you able to manually send the text to my phone and bump me past this stage? 

mgreenberg12
Community Member

I'm almost finished creating my account but when I put my phone number in to verify, it says the number is already in use. But I don't remember ever creating an account in the past

Hi Molly,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
skeliher
Community Member

I am trying to complete my Upwork profile but I have not received a text with a verification code. I have tried different devices and browsers without success. Could someone please advise? 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sierra, 

I'll go ahead and share your account information with the Customer Support Team so that they can reach out to you and assist you with your phone verification.

~ Avery
Upwork
meisner_steve
Community Member

Hey Goran,

I am having the same issue both in the web interface and in the mobile app where I can't progress past this step to verify my account - something seems to be broken.

Thank you for reaching out to us, Steve.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
alextrann
Community Member

im already complete my account but when i submit a proposal for a job, i dont receive any verification message, please help thank you
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alex,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket to assist you with this concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork
sbd12b
Community Member

I have completed my profile, however when I try to set a security phone number, the "Verify Phone Number" button doesnt do anything. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sean.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
hannahb2713
Community Member

I am having difficulty recieving my verification code. 

Hi Hannah,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
solutionz_texas
Community Member

Site does not allow fixing typo on phone number.

Goes to view saying it sent a text asking for 5 digit verification. Use Back then Phone number, and it skips the phone number entry field, going right to the view asking for 5 digit verification.

IMPOSSIBLE to complete sign up

Thank you for reaching out to us, Dave.

I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you with your request!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I’m having this issue too. I have resent the verification code several times and not received anything.

Edit: I used a google voice phone number and it worked.
ccmacneill
Community Member

The phone number on my profile was keyed incorrectly, so the verification code is going to a wrong number. I can't find where I can edit the phone number. When I go to settings, I'm stuck in a loop where it brings me back to the verification code screen with the incorrect number. How can I edit this incorrect number? I can't get past the verification code screen to complete my profile.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Christina.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with updating your phone number and completing your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

i want to change my phone number to my new one, how can I do that!

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for reaching out to us. To change your phone number, please go to Settings > Contact Info and you can update your phone number under the Location section.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
imagesasart
Community Member

I need to change my account phone number. I entered the wrong one when I setup my account. I have tried to change it & there seemd to be no way to do it. I have used Friefox as my Brwser for many years & if this problem is being caused by this site not working with Firefox then get the problem fixed.

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
impressme
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and I'm receiving the following message when prompted to verify a phone number after creating my profile. I've typed in my phone number several times as well as an alternate phone number and I receive the following message: "You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number."

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Melinda,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
giamussini
Community Member

I'm not receiving my verification text message. I tried several times.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Gia.

~ Bojan
Upwork
broberg-matt
Community Member

I have entered my phone number for the verification code and it is failing to send me the code.

Hi Matt, 

I checked your account and looks like you successfully verified your phone number. Please do follow up here if you need any further assistance, we're here to help.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
cmhaley07
Community Member

I am trying to submit a portfolio for consideration but cannot do so without verifying a phone number. I typed in my phone number several times but I never get a text. A message reading "You failed to verify this phone number. Please provide a different number" pops up. To test, I also typed in the phone numbers of family members but the same message appeared. 

Hi Christina,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble verifying your phone number. I've requested someone from our team to reach out and assist you directly via email. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths