🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I don't get paid
Page options
6cba4754
Community Member

I don't get paid

Hello, I have made a contract with a client. After my task, the client sent me a salary form and I had to choose the payment method. I chose "upwork" method. But I didn't get paid yet. It has been two days. I can see most freelancers in the list have got paid, but I have not. I sent messages to the client but there was no response. This is my first contract of my freelancing carrier and I don't know what to do. Please give me some advice. Thank you very much.

salary form link -

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Than:
You made a mistake in how you used Upwork.

That's okay!

Part of doing something new is making mistakes.

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not make those same mistakes again in the future.

Some key tips:
Google Docs don't matter.

External links don't matter.

Freelancers get paid when they have a contract on Upwork and use the Upwork tools correctly.

You can look at your contracts here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you don't see a contract there, then it means you can't get paid.

re: "I sent messages to the client but there was no response."

If you were hired using a real Upwork contract, you DO NOT NEED to communicate with the client. You will get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

To be clear: If the client DOES NOTHING, then you get paid automatically.

(If you used Upwork properly.)

Some additional key points:

- Don't contact Upwork Customer Support about this. If you didn't use the tools correctly, they can't help you get paid.

- It is not the client's responsibility to make sure you get paid. It is the freelancer's responsibility to make sure he uses the Upwork tool correctly.

re: "After my task, the client sent me a salary form and I had to choose the payment method." Real Upwork clients don't do that. Scammers do that.

It is really important for you to focus on figuring out what you did wrong. If you have ANY questions, then ask your questions right here in this thread.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Than:
You made a mistake in how you used Upwork.

That's okay!

Part of doing something new is making mistakes.

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not make those same mistakes again in the future.

Some key tips:
Google Docs don't matter.

External links don't matter.

Freelancers get paid when they have a contract on Upwork and use the Upwork tools correctly.

You can look at your contracts here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you don't see a contract there, then it means you can't get paid.

re: "I sent messages to the client but there was no response."

If you were hired using a real Upwork contract, you DO NOT NEED to communicate with the client. You will get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

To be clear: If the client DOES NOTHING, then you get paid automatically.

(If you used Upwork properly.)

Some additional key points:

- Don't contact Upwork Customer Support about this. If you didn't use the tools correctly, they can't help you get paid.

- It is not the client's responsibility to make sure you get paid. It is the freelancer's responsibility to make sure he uses the Upwork tool correctly.

re: "After my task, the client sent me a salary form and I had to choose the payment method." Real Upwork clients don't do that. Scammers do that.

It is really important for you to focus on figuring out what you did wrong. If you have ANY questions, then ask your questions right here in this thread.

Thank you very much for your kindness, sir. Now I received the payment from the client. And I am working with the another client , but there is not contract for this job yet. I've checked as you said, " Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs", and there is no contract for the job. She sent me messages and links, I have benn working through these links, but no contract. I realize that I have to tell her to make contract on upwork. Am I right ?

That is correct. 
The contract should be on Upwork and it should show on your contracts page. Also, make sure that the milestone is funded with the correct amount of money before you begin the work.
If you are not sure what a milestone is or how contracts on Upwork work, i suggest starting here:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Courses/Work-Contracts/ta-p/1065213

Educate yourself on protecting your work and self before putting in any work would be the safest option.

Thank you very much, Luqman M. I really appreciate for your guidance. I will check and learn from the link you suggested. As I am a beginner of freelancing, I may do wrong things but I think I am lucky to meet the people like you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths