🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I don't have any taxpayer certification and f...
Page options
needyamingmail
Community Member

I don't have any taxpayer certification and form details. What can I do?

I'm not a U.S. taxpayer. Should I have submit "W8BEN Foreign Status Certification" or "W9 Form"?

I've added my bank details 2 days ago. Still it's not active yet.
I see a message on my "Get paid" menu, that is

"In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W8BEN Foreign Status Certification. If you are a U.S. taxpayer living outside of the United States, please complete a W9 Form."

What can I do right now?

Note: I'm not a taxpayer in my country (Bangladesh).

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md,

You can complete the W-8BEN form under Settings> Tax Info, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You may use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Additionally, for security reasons, every new payment method becomes active in three calendar days. You can read more about it in this help article

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md,

You can complete the W-8BEN form under Settings> Tax Info, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You may use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Additionally, for security reasons, every new payment method becomes active in three calendar days. You can read more about it in this help article

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
6882f302
Community Member

Greetings,

If I am not a taxpayer in my country, would I need to fill the W-8BEN form, also if I choose not a taxpayer, will you still withhold tax from my earnings?

Hi Usifo,

The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. Upwork and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

With that said, even if you're not paying taxes in your country, you would have to fill in this form so we can verify that you are not a U.S. person and  we do not need to collect US taxes from you.

~ AJ
Upwork

how to do so, in the area where it asks for tin number, what to put ? 

Hi there,

This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. Some countries may use a National ID number. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths