🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I don't want a profile picture
Page options
rosehandan
Community Member

I don't want a profile picture

Hello!
I am new to the upwork community and just opened an account recently but I have an issue, the problem is when registering my account I used my daughters photo as my profile pic because I personally don't feel comfortable uploding my pic in an open community, but a few days ago something stroke my mind regarding if it was ok with upwork to use another persons photo on your profile and discovered it was against their tos rules but aside the pic everything in my profile is accurate and matches my document and government issued IDs. Been it's against their rules to use another persons pic,

I have now decided to plead with the the upwork officials to allow me not use a profile pic and maybe use one of my writing business logos on my profile, if it requires me having a video call for verification with my daughter in it, I will do so. All I want is to become a very successful freelancer on upwork without any issues.
Cheers!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Can I pm you regarding something?"

If you are asking me?
I am not an Upwork employee, so I can't take direct action on behalf of anyone.

Forum users want to post questions in the public threads, because that way they get input from many people, rather than just a single opinion. Besides, I think most Forum regulars are like me and automatically delete PMs (private messages).

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
prestonhunter
Community Member

Rose:
I understand that you are not comfortable using your own photo to identify yourself, and that you prefer to use your daughter's photo online as an "avatar" for yourself. That's okay! You may do that on many different social media sites.

But on Upwork, that is not allowed.

The good news is that you don't need to use Upwork as a freelancer if you don't want to. Working as a freelancer on Upwork is 100% optional. In fact, most people do NOT do so. And people who are concerned about maintaining their privacy to the extent that they don't want to use a profile photo have many viable alternatives to this site.

Keep in mind that I don't work for or represent Upwork. It isn't my decision to make. In the last few years, since Upwork made freelancer profile photos mandatory, I have never heard of them making an exception. But maybe you will be the first.

Yeah, but I have this love for Upwork be it is more standard than the others based on my opinion though
AndreaG

Hi Rose,

That's correct, using a profile picture that misrepresents your identity or represents you as someone else is a violation of the Terms of Service. Unfortunately, without a profile photo that meets our guidelines, you will not be able to use Upwork as we need to know you are who you say you are. Plus, clients tell us a profile photo is critical to trusting that a freelancer is running a professional freelance business. You can check out this help article for more information about Profile Pictures.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Ok I understand, but if I were to change my profile pic to my original now, will it affect my profile ?

Ok, I understand, but if I were to change my profile pic to my original now, will it affect my profile?
This is in a sense that will I be able to change my profile to my original pic without it affecting me or leading to my account been suspended now or during verification?

Or would you suggest I close the account and open a new one with everything in other this time?
Please I need your advice and opinion on this as an upwork official because I'm just negotating on my first job and won't want to mess things up

You can't close your account and create a new account.

You are only allowed to have one account.

You need to fix any issues with your current account.

You aren't allowed to create a second account. If you get caught doing that, you could have all of your account permanently removed from the platform.

Ok you suggest I upload my original profile right?😊
But do you think Upwork will suspend me for once violating their rule after I change it?, I honestly dint know about the rule at first, I am just confused on the situation.

Upload your real photo to your original profile. Don't worry about getting suspended right now. You have not even started.

I have uploaded my original profile picture, thanks for the advice.
Can I pm you regarding something?

re: "Can I pm you regarding something?"

If you are asking me?
I am not an Upwork employee, so I can't take direct action on behalf of anyone.

Forum users want to post questions in the public threads, because that way they get input from many people, rather than just a single opinion. Besides, I think most Forum regulars are like me and automatically delete PMs (private messages).

Ok understood, happy upwotk journey

I agree, well that is my case, too. I am not comfortable with putting my profile picture and prefer putting a logo, but I don't know if they might accept it. so please if you found a solution tell me!

re: "I agree, well that is my case, too. I am not comfortable with putting my profile picture and prefer putting a logo, but I don't know if they might accept it. so please if you found a solution tell me!"

Upwork does not require that you be comfortable with having your profile photo on your freelancer profile page.

And Upwork allows you to prefer to use a logo instead.

As long as you comply with Upwork rules and post a photo of yourself, you are allowed to hold onto an unlimited amount of lingering discomfort and unrealized preferences.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Habiba, 

In order to be able to confidently verify your account when requested, users are requested to upload a profile picture that matches the picture in any of their government-issued ID. In this help article, we have stated that the information on any of the documents you submit should match the information on your Upwork profile. As such, we will need to match the identity documents you have submitted with the information on your Upwork profile. I kindly request to please upload a photo on your Upwork profile so that you should the team find the need to verify your account, you can continue with the verification process. 

If you are uncomfortable uploading a profile photo based on your religion, our team can assist you with uploading a profile photo with a face covering. Let us know if this is the case, and we'll help you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
beibora
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

May you answear me why there is un account without profile photo? It's un active account.

re: "May you answear me why there is un account without profile photo? It's un active account."

Upwork freelancers are required to have profile photos.

Not everybody who uses Upwork is a freelancer. Many Upwork users are not required to have profile photos.

Is it possible for there to be an active freelancer without a profile photo?

Yes, for historical and technical reasons that may be possible. But Upwork has algorithms which actively check freelancer profiles. And if a freelancer account is found without a profile photo, its access to the Upwork system will be limited or blocked until the photo is in place.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yordanka,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with the link to the profile you're referring to? I'll check that for you and advise you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
02ec545f
Community Member

This is too much. Just trying to get a little side work and before I can even see whats available you guys mandate all this information you want from me? This is too one sided, it basically just makes the person looking for work have to come crawling forward on their hands and knees. It should be a two way street. You guys are asking for way too much right out that gate. TYou want my entire life before I can even see if you have a job I want?

db5eed3c
Community Member

absolutely appalling that a profile picture is required. I have never come across such a blatant violation of privacy rights on any online site, there are plenty of ways to verify someone's identity without a public profile picture. and that for a site that is notorious for offering low paid, semi-illegal work, shame on you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths