Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got scammed

Highlighted
JoJo S Member Since: Nov 24, 2016
1 of 10

hi all,

I got choosed from one of the clients here and its skype ID is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and he sent contract and then we worked untill my invoice reached 127$ then he removed me and refused to pay my money!!

what should I do to get my money?!

I attached the contract please tell me what should I do?

Highlighted
Hagar Shaaban A Member Since: Nov 24, 2016
2 of 10

the same thing happened to me from the same client and the link of the subject is :

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I need my money from this scam

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 10

@Hagar Shaaban A wrote:

the same thing happened to me from the same client and the link of the subject is :

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I need my money from this scam

First of all JoJo and Hagar  - you must read about how Upwork operates before applying for jobs. Here  are some essential links for newcomers as well as how to protect yourselves from scammers.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

Unless your "contracts" were officially set up with Upwork either as funded milestones for fixed-rate jobs or with the tracker turned on for hourly jobs, you are not going to get paid.

If neither of you had an official contract in place, then it would seem that you had both agreed to work off site, which is a serious violation of Upwork's terms of service, and which could get your accounts suspended.

The better news is, that this person has absolutely no claim whatsover on your work as he has not paid you. So you can at least use it publicly as part of your portfolio. You can also search for your work on the internet, and ask for a DMCA to get it removed from his website, or wherever it has been published.

The NDA that you signed JoJo, is absolutely meaningless, so don't take any notice of it.

So, lesson learned  the hard way. Better luck with the next jobs.

@ETA: @ Hagar - Upwork's rules and regs. require you  to upload a proper picture of yourself (not of anyone else) showing your face.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 10

Oh boy! - JoJo/Hagar - whoever you are. You absolutely must read Upwork's terms and conditions. You have opened two accounts which is also a violation of Upwork's terms of service. I have flagged this post so that a moderator can give you further advice.

Highlighted
Hagar Shaaban A Member Since: Nov 24, 2016
5 of 10

my only account is the one I am contacting you now from!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 10

Well, it is very strange that JoJo is also calling herself Hagar and your profiles are remarkably similar. So either you are the same person or somebody has stolen somebody else's profile but with different skills.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 10

@Nichola L wrote:

Well, it is very strange that JoJo is also calling herself Hagar and your profiles are remarkably similar. So either you are the same person or somebody has stolen somebody else's profile but with different skills.

lol scammer got scammed. That's funny.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 10

Both "JoJo" and Hagar are named "Shaaban" if you look at the full profiles. And, yes, both profiles are very similar, based in the same city, and were obviously created by the same person. Or (theoretically) two relatives working together.

If they actually are two differen people, then they don't engender trust by creating profiles simultaneously with fake photos, nor by claiming to have identical problems at the same time.

In any case, Upwork is not a magical money machine where anybody (using their real identity or not) can claim they did some work, weren't paid by a "client" and then ask Upwork to hand over the cash.

That would not be a sustainable business model.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 10

Hi Jojo and Hagar,

I've checked and see you weren't hired for the jobs you completed. Also note that the jobs were removed from Upwork for violating Upwork ToS. Please read the resources we shared here and note that you need to be hired and paid through Upwork.  

If you go to Find Work > Proposals you will be able to check whether any of your proposals were accepted. Proposals you see in the "Active Candidacies" or "Invitations to Interview" sections have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you. You should definitely not do any work until you've been awarded the job, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. 

Someone from our team will follow up with you shortly regarding the issue with your accounts and profiles, which are in violation of Upwork ToS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 10

re: "I need my money from this scam"

One point and questions:

By definition, freelancers don't earn money from scams. If anybody gets money, it is the scammer.

If a freelancer gets the money they expected, then they weren't really scammed, were they?

As for the question:

Why do you need the money? How is that relevant? Should Upwork pay money to freelancers who participate in scams if those freelancers need the money, but not pay if the freelancers don't need the money?