🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I have 5 Star in all project till now, still ...
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

I have 5 Star in all project till now, still No 'Rising Talent' badge neither 'JSS' started.

Hello Upwork Community,

first of all, I am thankful to Upwork for giving me new hope in this COVID-19 situation.

I started using Upwork in 2018, did only one project worth $300 for my Australian client, since I know them [already existing clinet] so the contract was direct for me, but after that, I have not used Upwork since then, but in last 15 days, I have submitted 100+ proposals using connects [bought connect bundle twice] and got interviewed by many, and also successfully delivered 4 projects, which includes a tip in one recent project. In fact, 4 out of 4 clients ( gained in last 15 days) mentioned that they will come back with more work soon.

I burnt 250-300 connects to get this work in the last 15 days, Is my speed is slow acquiring client? or am I being in impatient?

With the grace of God, I have a 5-star rating from all clients till now, as I am having 16 years of experience in my business, so I know how to handle the client and deliver them a bit extra than what they expect in your work.

Still, I have not got any rising talent or JSS, can someone guide me how can I achieve that or is there anything I am missing anything. My aim is to be Top rated in the coming months.

your help will be really appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gurjeet,

It shouldn't matter if you started working now or after two years. As long as you are meeting all the requirements in this help article, you will get a Job Success Score soon. As mentioned before, once you get your JSS, you can start working towards your Top-Rated status, but please note that JSS isn't the only criteria to become Top-Rated. You can check out this help article for more information on this.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gurjeet,

The Rising Talent badge is automatically assigned when a freelancer meets the requirements listed here. Once you qualify for the badge, you will receive a notification letting you know and it will also reflect on your profile.

Regarding your Job Success Score, please note that more than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects. Since not all projects and clients are equal, the length of time will vary. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. The projects need to be with at least three different clients and take place within a 24-month period.

Once you earn your JSS, you can start working towards Top-Rated status. For more information, please check out this help article.

Stay safe and let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

just a last query, since I have completed 5 jobs [with all 5 stars], 1 each from the USA, UK and Australian Clients [ total 3 jobs] and 2 different jobs from Indian Clients.

does it matter my profile is two year old, but I started working aggressively now! will this affect my rising star badge or JSS?

Thanks

Gurjeet

Hi Gurjeet,

It shouldn't matter if you started working now or after two years. As long as you are meeting all the requirements in this help article, you will get a Job Success Score soon. As mentioned before, once you get your JSS, you can start working towards your Top-Rated status, but please note that JSS isn't the only criteria to become Top-Rated. You can check out this help article for more information on this.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I don't understand why you are highlighting the locations of your clients in your posts.

Better geographical diversity of the clients is neither here nor there when it comes to JSS.

Gurjeet, remember that to be Top Rated you need to earn $1000 in the past 12 months, so you're a long ways away. Sending as many proposals as you do, is there enough time to do actual work?

Hello JOHN, I have a limit of sending proposals [I do not send more than that, in one day], and as of now, the ratio is very less of 'accepted contracts' as compared to proposals I am sending. So generally whatever project I have taken so far, are very small in terms of time-consuming, hence delivered within the same day.

waiting for the day when I will have a lot of work to do, and not thinking about sending proposals.

I am new at Upwork, due to COVID-19, shifting my business to online, and taking baby steps to learn how Upwork helps freelancers, so sorry If I ask any wrong question.

thanks, PRACHI for the guidance, I might have great experience in my field, but I am an infant at this platform, who is still learning to take baby steps, hence asking questions in detail to get the best advice I can have from the community.

Thanks

Gurjeet

Finally, I have got my first JSS today!

I have completed 8 Jobs so far, all with 5-Star rating, and two of them given me a bonus since they were more than happy with my work and support, also have 3 new jobs in progress. [Total 11]

All by sending a lot of proposals and communication with the client in just 3 weeks of time, so far feeling good about Upwork.

My Stats says ' Clients who would recommend you - 100%'
But my JSS is 92%.

May be due to one of my client, ended the contract without communication and raised a refund request, and never reply me back since then. Even I requested them to release at least 5$ so that we can end the contract at the good note, but she did not reply back and I did not fight back due to a newbie to this platform I did not want to get a dent on my JSS.
But I guess it did...

Question 1: Will I never get 100% now, since 1 contract may always remain as 'No Income Earned' contract.

Question 2: Will it also affects my 16 weeks of the period for the TOP RATED BADGE?

Question 3: Is there any way, we can reach out to someone and show all the chat msgs about that 'no income contract' to some seniors/moderators so that my JSS can be re-fixed.

Kindly Guide!

gurjeet k wrote:

I have completed 8 Jobs so far, all with 5-Star rating, and two of them given me a bonus since they were more than happy with my work and support, also have 3 new jobs in progress. [Total 11]

All by sending a lot of proposals and communication with the client in just 3 weeks of time, so far feeling good about Upwork.

But my JSS is 92%.

May be due to one of my client, ended the contract without communication and raised a refund request, and never reply me back since then. Even I requested them to release at least 5$ so that we can end the contract at the good note, but she did not reply back and I did not fight back due to a newbie to this platform I did not want to get a dent on my JSS.
But I guess it did...

Question 1: Will I never get 100% now, since 1 contract may always remain as 'No Income Earned' contract.

Question 2: Will it also affects my 16 weeks of the period for the TOP RATED BADGE?

Question 3: Is there any way, we can reach out to someone and show all the chat msgs about that 'no income contract' to some seniors/moderators so that my JSS can be re-fixed.

Kindly Guide!

1. Of course you can reach 100% eventually. 

2. Don't know

3. You must be aware that JSS calculation is not done manually and nobody will read your messages and then start fiddling around with your JSS. It ain't gonna happen. You may find this annoying, or unfair, or whatever, but don't you think it's time you accept the bad outcome and move on?

Also, JSS and clients that would recommend you does not update at the same time. 

And who is "we"?

Martina P wrote:

gurjeet k wrote:

But my JSS is 92%.

But I guess it did...

Kindly Guide!

1. Of course you can reach 100% eventually. 

2. Don't know

3. You must be aware that JSS calculation is not done manually and nobody will read your messages and then start fiddling around with your JSS. It ain't gonna happen. You may find this annoying, or unfair, or whatever, but don't you think it's time you accept the bad outcome and move on?

Also, JSS and clients that would recommend you does not update at the same time. 

And who is "we"?

Also, to add this to the OP, no earnings contracts are intended to negatively impact your JSS. So it doesn't matter who you tell, they wouldn't change it. 

Thanks, Amanda for the insights.

Thank you so much, Martina, for the reply.

Yes, I found it bit unfair but at the same time, I have a habit of focusing on the good and move on but wanted to clear my doubts so asked it.

I used 'we' here for... me and my ex-client, who withdraw the contract without proper communication.

Regards
Gurjeet

gurjeet k wrote:

Thank you so much, Martina, for the reply.

Yes, I found it bit unfair but at the same time, I have a habit of focusing on the good and move on but wanted to clear my doubts so asked it.

I used 'we' here for... me and my ex-client, who withdraw the contract without proper communication.

Regards
Gurjeet

Thanks for the clarification. I will have to assume that a client that wanted a refund is not very interested in helping your JSS. 

Yes, Martina, I believe so now, despite sending her many msgs about 'ending the contract in a proper way', she never replied [even when she was online].

I also understand this protocol have been made after so many discussions and past experiences of clients & freelancers on Upwork, but at the same time, I think this protocol needs a fresh version, that shall help both client and freelancers for not denting their JSS and other ratings so that genuine freelancers have no fear while working on their next project. (now my focus shifted from 'delivery of quality work' to 'fear of hitting my JSS' if client withdraw without proper communication).

This private feedback must be taken as a 'warning' not a 'conclusion' about the freelancers. and Freelancers must have the right to justify them with documents and records, if found guilty then JSS must hit, otherwise, I found it a bit unfair.

and if this pattern of freelancers repeats for 3-5 contracts then it must hit the JSS really hard so that only well-qualified & experienced freelancers will remain to deliver quality work, that will also uplift the quality of Upwork in the eyes of other Clients'. This will bring trust to at a new level for all of us.

But hitting JSS on the basis of only one client is not good, as we work really hard to gain our JSS score [especially new freelancers on this platform]

This community is really helpful for people like me who are infants and taking baby steps, and I am grateful to have people around me.

I am extremely sorry if any of my words are not appropriate, and I have just said what I felt, as I believe in 'open and honest communication'.

Regards

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths