🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I have a client outside Upwork
Page options
d9c94b25
Community Member

I have a client outside Upwork

I have a client outside Upwork already and I want to bring him on the platform so that payment can be easily done and the communication is documented. Do I still have to pay the 20% commission? I heard there is some feature "Bring your own client" promo which enables 0% commission for that particular job. May I know how can this be done?

5 REPLIES 5
AndreaG

Hi Taimoor,

We've introduced the Bring Your Own Client program to Rising Talent and Top Rated freelancers. While we currently do not have plans to roll the program out to additional freelancers yet, we are trying to find ways to do this in the future and will notify the community if it is available.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
d9c94b25
Community Member

My client wants to communicate on Whatsapp but I personally want him to
send payment over Upwork do that documentation is easy and secure payment
method is offered to him. Will I be penalized by Upwork even then? He'll
just hire me straight away after posting the job.

Is this a matter of concern?

Hi Taimoor,

Taking communications with a freelancer or client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service

You may want to check this help article to learn more about Fixed-Price Protection and this one for Hourly Protection.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Yes I do understand that but he's my private client since more than a year.
Even in that case it would be a violation?

Hi Taimoor,

No need to worry, a relationship that started outside the platform, comes onto Upwork, and is then taken outside the platform is one of the exceptions for Circumvention.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths