🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I have no JSS.
Page options
joe_washburn
Community Member

I have no JSS.

I am new to Upwork. Since I am new I have no Job Success Score. But every client I've looked at requires a JSS of 80% to 90%. How can I find a client that doesn't require a JSS. I don't have time to look through all of them. If they filter mine out because I don't have a JSS can you filter out clients that have too high of a requirement for me? It would save me a lot of time. My time is just as valuable to me as it is to them.

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Joe W wrote:

I am new to Upwork. Since I am new I have no Job Success Score. But every client I've looked at requires a JSS of 80% to 90%. How can I find a client that doesn't require a JSS.

It is not a requirement. It's a preference. They don't "filter" your application because of that.

If you will be able to do the job and do it well, apply anyway.

I guess I misunderstood. I read something in the message boards about proposals being filter out because of a low JSS. Are the clients required to respond even if they decline my proposal? The wait to hear from them can be aggravating. Are they notified when there is a proposal waiting? I contacted one client a few days ago. But it shows that they posted the job the day before I submitted a proposal and they haven't checked it since.

oscaralende
Community Member

Hey Joe, both JSS and Rising talent requirements aren't of top priority when it comes down to submitting a proposal, only ¨Location¨, ¨Upwork hours¨, ¨English level¨ and anything that's below JSS and Rising talent will be notified to the client and may be a waste of time to engage with those until met such requirements.

How can I find a client that doesn't require a JSS?

You won’t, just ignore it and go for projects where you think your am exact fit.

According to Jerónimo Oscar that would be a waste of time. I would also like to know if the client is required to respond with a yes or a no. If they decline my proposal I'd at least like to know. If they want some time to think about it, I'd like to know. If I were wanting to hire someone, I would consider it rude to not let the other person know one way or the other.

Joe W wrote:

According to Jerónimo Oscar that would be a waste of time.

That's not what he said, and he's wrong anyway.

Joe W wrote:

I would also like to know if the client is required to respond with a yes or a no.

No, you won't hear anything from most.

Joe W wrote:

I would also like to know if the client is required to respond with a yes or a no.

No, clients are not required to respond with a no, and if they say "yes" you are contacted to discuss it further.

The best way to handle it is to apply and forget about it until or unless a client contacts you back. Don't "wait" for a response and get used to not hearing from clients who do not respond, they often get 50 - 100 applications per job post and may have a dozen jobs going.

Hearing "Sorry, you're not chosen" doesn't help you in any way.

If you aren't contacted, assume you didn't get it, but you never know, sometimes clients may get back to you weeks or month after an original job post.

Actually hearing "Sorry, you're not chosen." does help. When I submitted stories to magazines years ago, they did respond. I received many rejection letters. This caused me to re-evaluate what I was doing and I looked for ways to improve.

Jerónimo Oscar A wrote:

Hey Joe, both JSS and Rising talent requirements aren't of top priority when it comes down to submitting a proposal, only ¨Location¨, ¨Upwork hours¨, ¨English level¨ and anything that's below JSS and Rising talent will be notified to the client

They are all mere preferences. They are all equally important or unimportant and are all notified in exactly the same way.

Joe, *NO* JSS isn't a problem. A very low JSS may be.

None of us had a JSS when we started out

Thank you Petra R. From Jeronimo Oscar's response I felt like finding work on Upwork was a waste of my time. I am not new to writing. I did so before there was an internet. I just haven't done work on the internet. I stop publishing my work in the 90s. Finding work and getting published on the internet is new to me. I just need to figure out how it works. But I also need to be sure that I'm going in the right direction.

Joe W wrote:

Thank you Petra R. From Jeronimo Oscar's response I felt like finding work on Upwork was a waste of my time. I am not new to writing. I did so before there was an internet. I just haven't done work on the internet. I stop publishing my work in the 90s. Finding work and getting published on the internet is new to me. I just need to figure out how it works. But I also need to be sure that I'm going in the right direction.

You won't know until you try.  Honestly I used to ignore all of the requirements even location unless they specifically said they wanted someone onsite (because I figured there is a chance to pick that by mistake).  I don't know when I got a JSS or became TR or all that but I never stopped proposing regardless and for a long time there would be clients who wanted 1000 hours on UW and I didn't have that.

Getting someone to respond is a talent in itself and if you don't find a way to do it you will probably find UW to be a waste of time.   But if you find a way, and it will likely be your own way, then it can work for you.  I think of it as a sales funnel, the whole process, everything to get a message.

There is a lot of advice given to new people I don't agree with and two in particular are don't work with verified clients and lower your rates to get your first few clients.  I think clients that are new to Upwork are particularly ripe terrain for new UW'ers to farm and I think you should try to maintain your rate, and it should be a good one until you have lost most of your hope.

Are you sure about this? Because when I submit a proposal in which I don't fit the JSS and Rising talent requirements there's no pop-up telling me the client will be noticed about it, meanwhile when you don't fit the other ones I named a specific notice shows up, I think both JSS and Rising talent are like ¨lower priority¨.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths